ALKA PRASAD, Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Chemistry
Major: Biochemistry 1 DECEMBER 2005
University of Mississippi, Mississippi, U.S.A
1. Protein Biochemistry techniques- Protein expression in Bacterial cells, Protein extraction and Purification techniques [Chromatography-SEC, HPLC, Affinity], Western Blot, Dialysis.
2. Gel Electrophoresis – Agarose and PAGE
3. Spectroscopy – UV-visible, Circular Dichroism
4. Calorimetry – Differential Scanning Calorimeter
5. Flow Cytometry- Cell apoptosis acquiring and analysis of data using Flow Jo.
6. Molecular Biology techniques- Cloning, PCR, Transformation, Transfection (using Amaxa), recombinant DNA, RT-PCR, Reverse transcription real time PCR, DNA and RNA isolation, c-DNA prepararyion and gene expression.
7. Tissue Culture- Growing and maintaining mammalian cells (Primary Effusion Lymphoma cells/PEL, HUVEC cells).
8. Ultracentrifuge to purify and concentrate HHV-8 virions.
9. Immunoflouresence assay (IFA).
10. Proteomics (protein isolation, quantitation, western blot, Mass Spectrometry).
11. Virology- Working with PEL cells infected with Human Herpes Virus-8/HHV-8, virion isolation, virion gene expression studies using RT-PCR, virion protein expression studies using western blot.
DEVELOPMENT & ESTABLISHMENT OF NEW TECHNIQUES FOR THE LAB
1. Developed and established steps for high protein expression and purification of Epithelial cadherin in my graduate lab.
2. Developed protocols to do biophysical experiments (temperature and chemical denaturation specifically for single and two domains Epithelia-adhering) using Circular Dichroism (temperature and chemical) and Calroimetry (temperature).
3. Developed and successfully established technique for isolating protected (encapsulated) HHV-8 virions.
4. Developed technique for purifying and concentrating HHV-8 virions for the lab using sucrose and histodenz gradient in Ultracentrifuge.
5. Designed silencing RNA (SiRNA) against ORF50 (primary transactivator) in HHV-8 using a company based program.and successfully used this SiRNA for blocking the ORF50 RNA expression in BCBL-1 cells (Primary Effusion Lymphoma cells) by transfection.
6. Devloped protocol to successfully see protein expression in BCBL-1 cell suspension (adhered on poly L Lysine coated glass slides) by IFA.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Awarded “National Research & Lecturer Fellowship” from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi, India,
DECEMBER 1995- DECEMBER 2001
I . POST DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW, Center for Cancer and Immunology
Research, CHILDREN’S NATIONAL MEDICAL CENTER – Washington DC
JANUARY 2006 - CURRENTLY WORKING
Project: VIROLOGY (Human Herpes Virus type 8)
II. UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI – Oxford, Mississippi
AUGUST 2001- DECEMBER 2005
Project: Biophysics and Biochemistry of Protein Folding (Epithelial-cadherin)
III. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND DEVELOPMENT STUDIES– COUNCIL OF SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH, NEW DELHI, INDIA
JUNE 1999 –JULY 2001
Project: R&D Management in Biotechnology
IV. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND COMMUNICATION– COUNCIL OF SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH
SEPTEMBER 1996 –JUNE1999
Project: R&D Management in Biotechnology AND Science Publication Reviews
TEACHING ASSISTANT- DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY & BIOCHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI – OXFORD, MISSISSIPPI
AUGUST 2001 – DECEMBER 2001
TEACHING ASSISTANT- DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY & BIOCHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI – OXFORD, MISSISSIPPI JANUARY 2002 – MAY 2002
SCIENCE COMMUNICATION EXPERIENCE
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND COMMUNICATION– COUNCIL OF SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH
DECEMBER 1995- JUNE1999
o As an Assistant Reviewer for the Chief Editor of “Journal of Biological Chemistry”
o Assisted in Publications of Annual Reports of the Institute- Primarily involved in writing Annual Reports and Editing.
An Alternative Kaposi’s Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus Replication Program Triggered by Host Cell Apoptosis
1. Prasad A, Lu Michael, Lukac David and Zeichner Steven, “An alternative Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus replication program triggered by host cell
apoptosis. Journal of Virology. 86(8):4404-19.
2. Prasad A and Pedigo S, “Stability Studies of Domains 1 and 2 of Epithelial –cadherin”, Biochemistry 44; 13692-13701 (2005).
3. Prasad A, Huaying Z, Rutherford M, Nichole C D, and Pedigo S, “Effect of Linker segments upon the Stability of Epithelial-cadherin Domain 2”, Proteins: Structure, Function and Bioinformatics- In Press (Available Online November 2005).
4. Prasad A, Housley N and Pedigo S, “Thermodynamic Stability of Domain 2 of
Epithelial- Cadherin”, Biochemistry, 43(25); 8055-8066, 2004.
5. Visalakshi S and Prasad A, “Shift in the focus and pattern of outputs of hybridoma Research”, Int. J. Biotechnology, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2003.
6. Visalakshi S and Prasad A, “Shift in interests towards biotechnology in Indian
pharmaceutical industry – An analysis”, Research Evaluation; 10: 173-183, 2001.
7. Prasad A and Visalakshi S, “Trends and profile in enzyme engineering research during1971-98”, Scientometrics; Vol.48, 27-44, 2000.