Graphic & Web Designer / Illustrator / Photographer / Children's Book Writer
Experienced graphic designer with multiple skill sets in various forms of printed media ( editorial/magazine layout, logo creation, direct mail, brochure design, corporate branding ) as well as web design and traditional/computer illustration.
Art Director / Graphic Designer / Illustrator • Twin Peaks Design • St. Stephens Church, Virginia • 1987 - Current
• Develop / design various visual solutions including: marketing materials, press kits, editorial layout, business packages, logos, brochures, direct mail, ads, web graphics, exhibit design and vehicle advertisement to improve client market placement.
• Maintain brand consistency across all marketing channels to optimize client identity standards and programs for individuals as well as corporations.
• Present multiple comprehensive mockups to convey / explore directions and consumer insights and goals with clients at all levels of management.
• Perform needs assessment and thorough communication to achieve client goals.
• Effectively produce digital files for successful printing and pdf proofing. Personally perform press checks for highest level client satisfaction / outcome using Quark Xpress and Adobe CS6 creative suite software.
• Research images, competition strategies and print pricing / negotiation to maximize client project management / relationships.
On-Site Freelance Consultant
• Manage customer service / sales needs of national direct mail and corporate print accounts for Kenmore Envelope Company. Tracking all stages of production, printing and shipping. Estimate / negotiate print and production costs. Perform press checks on 2-4 color jobs for enhance client service relationships.
• Project manage all stages of 4-color print publications for Best Products Company and Genworth Financial. Coordinate layouts with art directors, buyers, photography studios and color assessment of press proofs to evaluate the product at all stages of development. Direct copywriters, scanners and proofreaders; liaison to upper level management to create more efficient work flow.
• Provide graphic design support to the Office of Public Affairs, RRHA and St. Margaret’s School producing newsletters, exhibit design, brochures, Ads, Direct Mail, illustrations, copy writing and on-location photography for improved marketing and public relations.
• Support Marketing Department creative staff at First Union Bank. Administrate media buying and management of accounts. Create print materials to assist the Marketing Director.
Senior Concept Designer / Web Developer • Circuit City Stores, Inc. • Richmond, Virginia • 1999 - 2001
• Designed / executed 4-color Rolling Stone and USA Today magazine ads, inter-company printed material, direct mail, on-line web / store sign-age, letterheads, logos and brochures.
• Developed concepts for weekly nationally distributed Sunday Circular meetings to evaluate the publication at various stages of development.
• Delegated execution of publication concepts to three junior designers reviewing artwork for production accuracy while maintaining strict deadlines.
• Served as the marketing division liaison, managing interactions with a cross functional team.
• Collaborated with the brand manager, implementing insights during the creative development process, ensuring consistency across all marketing formats.
• Coached junior designers on software and design techniques for increased team efficiency and growth.
• Art directed photo shoots for merchandise / life style presentations.
• Designed / produced weekly banner ads for sale promotion / brand positioning on the corporate, database driven, e-commerce web site: circuitcity.com.
• Managed banner success through Excel spreadsheets / carriage point assessment.
• Prepared product photography in Photoshop / ImageReady to color correct and compress files.
• Responsible for developing and understanding product lines / consumer insights by monitoring focus groups to optimize target audience appropriateness.
• Assembled editorial copy / content in Dreamweaver for onsite customer shopping / education.
Art Director • Collecting Concepts • Richmond, Virginia • 1997 - 1999
• Created concepts, editorial design and production of two international 4-color magazines to drive multi target audience sales.
• Conferred with marketing staff and coached two graphic designers on persuasive communication and design concepts to resonate with the various diverse audiences.
• Oversaw collateral print projects from concept to press check to launch company sponsored events and exclusive products.
• Supported two company web sites with improved graphic design and banner production which expanded ad-package offerings to vendors.
Art Director / Graphic Designer • SPI New Media, Inc. • Richmond, Virginia • 1986 - 1993
• Oversaw five man creative team effectively meeting multi faceted challenges / deadlines.
• Supported Senior Art Director producing dynamic creative approaches to visual presentations and a full range of corporate graphics and publications.
• Participated in team concept / visual planning for well rounded creative solutions.
• Concept designed multi-projector audio visual / video techniques and story boards to enhance corporate presentations and animated sequencing.
• Prepared comprehensive mockups and presented design directions to clients.
• Managed complex projects working with / as voice talent, models, photographers, typesetters, set designers and on-location photo shoots.
• Optimized marketing / branding communications strategies for Fortune 500 corporate clients.
BFA • Communication Art And Design with a Minor in: Photography and Illustration • 1986
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
Continued postgraduate studies • 1997 - 1999
Classes: Multi-media, Web Design, Animation, Digital Imaging and Interior Design.
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
Awards & Recognition
1992 Award of Excellence by the Printing Industries of Virginia
1991 Best of Show for Audio Visual Presentation in the Gold Tour, New York
1990 First Place AMI Award for Audio Visual Presentation, Arizona
1990 Art Director Award for Audio Visual Presentation at AMI Awards, Arizona
1989 Published Work in Audio Visual Communication Magazine
1988 Second Place AMI Award for Audio Visual Presentation, Arizona
1987 Produce Cover Design for AV Video Magazine
Technical Skill Set
• Versatile in both Macintosh OSX and Windows XP/Vista computer platforms
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite CS6 ( Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver & Acrobat Professional )
• Microsoft Office Suite ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint ) and QuarkXPress
• Web Design and coding in basic HTML as well as search engine optimization via metedata tags