Laura A. Bryant
Teacher of English * Lagrange Middle School * Lagrangeville, NY * 2002-present
Currently teaching English in a team model for grade 7. Experienced educator and excellent communicator passionate about engaging students in reading and writing, and developing both skills and the love of written and oral communication. Possesses strong technology skills, and utilizes instructional technology to enhance classroom projects.
• Participant in district-level ATLAS curriculum design; lead writer for grade level, having written and implemented units and assessments along state and national core standards
• Experienced in Professional Learning Community (PLC) conferencing
• Experienced with NYS ELA exams for grades 6, 7 & 8 as scoring leader/ trainer, and instructor of remedial test-prep courses for at-risk students
• Spearheaded annual participation of hundreds of grade 6-8 students in fiction writing via National Novel Writing Month initiative (NaNoWriMo.org), and nonfiction writing via student contributions to the international My Hero Project database
• Member of Building Level Technology Team
• Head of school drama department and director of school plays and musicals, including five of my own original full-length plays; three now published and two currently under consideration for publication
• 8 yrs as advisor of school newspaper and creator/advisor of Young Playwrights Club
• Experienced fastpitch softball coach and pitching coach for all levels
Instructor * SUNY/ Dutchess Community College * Poughkeepsie, NY * 2002 - present
Adjunct instructor of English composition and writing classes for adult students of all ages and ability levels. Strong emphasis on peer workshops, editing, revision, and writing process, as well as connecting student writing to related readings in nonfiction modes.
Experienced published writer of fiction and nonfiction. Work has appeared in newspapers, magazines, and websites targeting a wide range of readership. Full member of the Society of Children’s Book Writer’s and Illustrators, active in local chapter activities and conferences.
• Award-winning playwright for The Ransom of Miss Elverna Dower (2009), a published two-act comedy now being performed around the US and Canada
• Articles have appeared in Cricket Magazine, Girl’s Life and other print and web publications aimed at young readers; parenting publications such as Hudson Valley Parent and others; and was a frequent contributor to The Poughkeepsie Journal newspaper, covering local news and events.
• Published work has also been selected for inclusion in formal state ELA test-prep materials produced by Peoples Publishing Company
ABC News Radio Network Prior to teaching, worked 5 years for the ABC Radio broadcast news operations & engineering division in NYC as Supervisor of Satellite Data Transmission Systems
EDUCATION & MISC.
* Master of Science in Education (with honors) * Iona College, New Rochelle, NY
* Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts * Long Island University/C.W. Post, Brookville, NY
* Full scholarship student-athlete * Academic All-America * NCAA Medal for Outstanding Student-Athlete * NCAA National Tournament participant *Dean’s List *NYS certified N-6