Package Design Professional with extensive experience in design and development from conceptual structural phase through artwork development, concepts to finished products. Adept at directing other designers and photgraphers, preparing final artwork and producing sales samples. Design by means of traditional sketches, physical mock ups and 3d renderings, producing mock ups for photography and retouching. Proven ability to direct and manage complex projects, and work under stringent deadlines.
Areas of specialization include:
• Structural Development
• Vendor Liaison
• Problem Solving
• Project Management
• Customer Service
Additional Design Experience: Graphic Design; Product Design & Product Graphics; 3D modeling, Logos; Corporate Identity, and Environmental Graphics, Visual Communication, and Illustration.
Software: Adobe CS5: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Carrara 3D Modeling, Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel
jmaherdesigns – Freelance Package and graphic design 2007 - Present
ConAgra inc: Package design. 3D renderings for market research. prototypes and sales samples for clients.
Geneva TOWNSHIP ROAD DISTRICT: Branding including website, development and maintenance. Logo, business cards, signage, apparel Interactive PDF forms for website.
cheval creative inc: Structural package design and graphic development for gift line of books and toys.
Produce mock ups and visuals for sales presentations. Create production artwork. Prepare structural drawings and files
for estimates. Email blasts and website support.
ADDITIONAL CLIENTS: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Tri-City Travel Soccer, Capri Designs Inc., Quartet Technology Inc.,
Geneva School District 304, Jandorf Specialty Hardware, Dios Design, Mark Wissing Home Inspections, Safety Supply Illinois, Tydas Inc.
COLE VALLEY GROUP: Design and develop a reusable-shipping container for children’s book club.
William Wrigley Jr. Co., Chicago, IL 1993-2007
Senior Design Specialist, Brand Design Group
Responsible for the development of structural packaging concepts and the production or project management of packaging prototypes and sales samples.
• Ideation, alone or with team members, to generate and develop new confectionary products and packaging concepts. Resulting creative sessions contributed to maintaining a viable $100M company.
• Designed and developed structural concepts for retail confections, including initial development of new “5” brand packaging, included in patent for this particular design.
• Merged two different structural designs to create a unique solution to a global demand. Modified structural elements (locking tabs) and graphics in a one-day deadline to provide a “touch and feel” prototype for global marketing evaluation at no cost, a significant savings over outside services.
• Created prototypes for inter-departmental review, allowing for faster concept development, aiding speed to market and safeguarding propriety information.
• Produced numerous samples for market research, retail and in-home testing, providing a fast and efficient method to measure marketing parameters.
• Created countless sales sample mock ups for presentations to major retailers including Target, Wal-mart, Costco, and Rite aid, generating sales for new products, enabling growth of annual sales.
• Managed and directed sales sample programs for semi annual new product launch involving 8-10 new products with several sku’s each. Coordinated all work flow and delivery within tight timeline.
• Coordinated with marketing and design leaders for required artwork, researched prototyping capabilities, and worked with venders to address new needs and obtain cost estimates.
• To establish high quality and consistency of materials for the large volume of sales samples, researched and implemented a “Qualified Vender” program that also resulted in cost savings.
• To ensure cross platform communication, developed a series of Power Point presentations to educate the marketing team on the function/procedures involved in a successful launch.
• Provided variety of corporate graphic and design services utilizing an HP wide format printer.
• Designed sculptural art/ gum display for Mr. Wrigley.
• Developed concepts for Wal-Mart “Kid’s Connection” in store confectionary section.
Contours Consulting Design Group, Chicago, IL 1986-1993
Package Design/Graphic Design
Responsibilities included all phases of design development, art direction, proposal estimates, client liaison and following the project from inception through the design process to production supervision. Execution by means of sketches, renderings and study mock ups for client presentations.
Conceptualized three-dimensional products and defined project objectives. Developed product graphics and produced production artwork. Assisted in the fabrication of study models, working prototypes and displays. Major client experience included: Revere Ware, Cobra/Dynascan, and DuPont.
Owens-Illinois, Libbey Glass Division, Toledo, Ohio 1983-1986
Art Director of Package Design
Responsible for conceptual, structural and graphic design development, preparing concept sketches, external sales, trade show exhibits, catalog photography, directing all phases of artwork, photography, separations, die work and approval of final product.
Cleveland Institute of Art
B.F.A. Industrial Design, Minors in Photography and Graphic Design