Sept. 2012 to Present
Matthew Media LLC, Thibodaux, La.
• Provide clients with social media coordination, traditional media and press relations, writing and editing services
• Details available at www.matthew-media.com
Feb. 2008 to Sept. 2012
Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, La.
• Managed and implemented university’s media relations campaigns, and strategies and tactics
• Researched, wrote and distributed press releases to targeted media contacts at local, regional, national and international levels
• Developed and maintained working relationships with media contacts
• Coordinated art with university photojournalist and graphic designers
• Initiated, maintained, adjusted and completed emergency internal and external communication whenever necessary (especially during hurricane season) in accordance with university-wide emergency response policy
• Monitored and logged university’s mass media coverage via several tracking tools, including VOCUS, Google, Yahoo, press clipping service, various newspapers and periodicals, and word-of-mouth
• Maintained, categorized and expanded university's media contact database
• Increased university fans, followers and views by thousands through the development and implementation of a new social media networking strategy on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
• Advised university administration, faculty, staff and students on media relations and social networking strategies, issues, projects and goals
• Arranged media interviews with administration officials, faculty, staff and students
• Prepared monthly and annual mass media and social media reports for university administration
• Developed and maintained relationships with faculty, staff, students, alumni, community members and decision makers to keep lines of communication open and information flowing
• Updated university website using blogging software (WordPress) to post press releases, notices and photos
• Researched and wrote feature stories, hard news and other copy for various university publications
• Prepared talking points for university president's monthly radio show
• Shot and edited university event videos for YouTube and Facebook distribution
• Solicited, booked, prepared and interviewed university guests for weekly productions of 15-minute television segments for a live local talk show as well as radio broadcasts featuring weekly university news
• Developed story ideas, contributed copy and edited biweekly university newsletter for faculty and staff
Sept. 2001 to Dec. 2010
U.S. Army, Germany, Iraq, Texas, Louisiana
Infantryman (2001-2008, Active Army 1st Infantry Division and Texas Army National Guard) & Human Resources Specialist (2008-2010, Louisiana Army National Guard)
• Combat Infantry Veteran (CIB) in Iraq
• Trained, led and oversaw the well being of junior enlisted soldiers as a Noncommissioned Officer
• Maintained tactical and technical proficiency as a mechanized/motorized infantryman
• Distinguished for selection to several Army schools: Primary Leadership Development Course (Commandant’s List), Army Center for Substance Abuse Programs (Unit Prevention Leader Course), Combat Lifesavers Course, United States Army Safety Center (Risk Management and Safety Course), Army Combatives (Hand-to-Hand Combat) Level 1 Instructor Training Course, and Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle Crew Evaluator Course
• NOTE: Left active Army in January 2006; joined Texas Army National Guard as infantryman and initiated full-time graduate school status. Joined Louisiana Army National Guard in 2008 as human resources specialist; provided personnel support to citizen soldiers. Honorably discharged in 2010.
KSHV, Shreveport, La.
• Increased customer flow of Shreveport-area businesses via television advertising sales
• Organized television advertising seminar for the several-hundred members of the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
• NOTE: Left job after September 11, 2001, to join U.S. Army
1999 to 2000
Houston Community Newspapers, Conroe, Texas, & The Woodlands, Texas.
• Awarded Honorable Mention, 1999 Texas Associated Press Managing Editors Award, Class AA Spot News (Story: “Espionage, conspiracy in county”)
• Converted business, economic, political and public-safety developments into daily news stories
1998 to 1999
Legislative Correspondent & Staff Assistant
Office of U.S. Rep. Joe Barton, Washington, D.C.
• Communicated with constituents and other VIPs on behalf of Congressman
• Developed topical columns for media release and assisted press secretary in solidifying Congressman’s press relations
Master of Arts, English (Concentration: Writing & Linguistics)
Northwestern State University of Louisiana, Natchitoches, La.
• GPA: 4.0/4.0
• Sigma Tau Delta
• Society of English Scholars
• Graduate Assistant (Writing Tutor and Teaching Assistant)
Bachelor of Science, Journalism
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
• Reporter for Student Newspaper "The Battalion"
• Member of the Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
Heroes Monument Commission of Lafourche Parish, Commissioner
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Member
American Legion, Member
Concerned Veterans of Louisiana Inc., Member
Matthew Media LLC – matthew-media.com