Skills and Accomplishments:
Editing and Proofreading
- Completed a six week certificate in copy editing
- Editing skills include grammar, spelling, punctuation, consistency, formatting, structure, character dialogue, tense, point of view and accuracy
- Creator of the history blog Crusades and Crusaders which is now on the Scout.com platform: http://crusades.scout.com/
- Oh, What a Knight: The Knights Templar and The Slow Sprint to Print published in HistoriCool Magazine: http://www.historicool.com.au/
- The Ant and the Grasshopper and The Labourer's Plea performed by Driftwood Players Story Theatre throughout the summer of 2012
- Flexible and open-minded
- Toastmasters International, Advanced Communications Level Bronze
- Driftwood Players Story Theatre, Actress and Writer (Gibsons and Sechelt, B.C.)
- Able to meet tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and thorough
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer
- Basic knowledge of Wordpress and SEO
May 2014 – Present Beta Reader
- Beta reader for Author and Historian Helena Page Schrader. I am currently reading Helena’s biographical series on Balian d’Ibelin, a crusader who lived and fought in the Holy Land in the 12th century.
- As Helena’s beta reader, I provide feedback on character and plot development: what I enjoy reading most and what I feel needs more work.
September 2013 - Present Language Assistant
- Language Assistant for Spanish Travel Journalist, Sara: www.mindfultravelbysara.com. As her mentor, I've commented on paragraphs that need more explanation and on wrong use of adjectives and/or verbs. My comments include explanations of why grammar is incorrect and I offer suggestions for how it can be improved. I always offer words of encouragement.
March 2013 Promontory Press Editor
- Proofread Magazine Columnist and Towing Veteran, Aidan Cole's book, Life in the Fast Lane.
May - September 2012 Copy Editor
- Freelance copy editor for Women's Essence Magazine.
-Duties included reading short articles, correcting minor grammar issues and words that were spelt incorrectly; fixing fragmented and/or run-on sentences without changing the meaning of the article and author's writing style.
- I also provided side-notes on how the author could improve his/her writing.
Education and Training:
2014 TESOL Certificate ONTESOL (Coventry House International)
2013 Travel Journalism MatadorU.com (currently taking)
2009 The Keys to Effective Editing Northern Lights College
2008 Bachelor of Arts/History University of Northern British Columbia
2003 Grade 12 Elphinstone Secondary School