Lauren Thompson BA, MA, ALIA
31 Canis Crescent, Ocean Grove. Vic 3226
H: (03) 5256 2871 M: 0419 187 809 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Writer with Editorial experience, combined with Business Training
I have recently graduated with a Masters Degree in Writing and Literature.
I am experienced in journalism and editing in my time as the Editor of the Victorian Society of Women Writers newsletter, Write Away. I have attended numerous writing courses over the years and many were hosted by Australian writer, Graeme Kinross-Smith. In March, I was one of 10 Australian writers chosen by Express Media to participate in the Connecting Voices Program. A course designed to help young writers become workshop leaders in their own community.
I have built a wealth of cultural experience through extensive overseas travel and am currently applying my skills as the Editor of the Society of Women Writers Newsletter, Write Away. With a genuine commitment to doing the best I can, my experience, skills and Public Relations and Business training would be an asset to any employer.
• Excellent communication skills, a confident verbal presenter and proficient writer with the ability to engage others
• Good interpersonal skills, able to build and maintain positive relationships
• A creative and lateral thinker, able to improvise and think on her feet
• Trained in public relations and business
• Very well developed organisational, planning and time management skills
• Able to work independently, or as a supportive and enthusiastic member of a team
• Flexible and able to multi task, prioritise and maintain a strong commitment to high standards
• Well presented, reliable and honest
• Hard working and conscientious
• Motivated and passionate writer with a strong commitment to personal growth
• Proficient in using computer systems and software, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook Express, Publisher
Master of Arts - Writing and Literature Deakin University 2013
Specialisation: Professional Writing
Bachelor of Arts - Professional and Creative Writing Deakin University 2010 Major: Literary Studies
Certificate IV in Business Gordon Institute of TAFE 2006
Public Relations Geelong, Vic
Geelong Advertiser, Geelong. Vic 2006
Assistant Writer Work Experience:
- Assisting the Court Reporter – Karen Matthews to record details of court proceedings
- Assistance in the preparation of relevant newspaper articles
Society of Women Writers Victoria Inc. 2010
- Editor for the Society of Women Writers Victoria’s newsletter, Write Away
Australian Library & Information Association
The Victorian Writers’ Centre, Melbourne. Vic.
Good Reads, Melbourne, Vic.
Society of Women Writers Victoria Inc.
Deakin University Alumni Community
Current Drivers Licence
Volunteer Work: Salvation Army – Black Saturday Appeal
Forty Hour Famine Campaign
Volunteer worker for the Deakin University student union; DUSA
Queenscliff Historical Museum
Interests: Reading, writing short stories, karate, swimming, tennis, drawing and
Referees: Dr Maria Takolander
Lecturer, Deakin University
Ph: 03 5227 1274
Mrs Agnes Chatfield
Ph: 61 39 8362 327
Mr David Holden
Teacher, Surfside Primary School
Ocean Grove, Vic
Ph: 03 5256 3840