Curriculum Vitae: Lucy Claire Thornton
Music Composer/Producer specialising in classical and experimental electronic music for performance, the moving image, theatre, audiobooks, dance and art film. I have collaborated with and organized numerous musicians, writers and directors ... composing, orchestrating, conducting, recording and producing music to enhance their creative vision.
September 2010-June 2012: Master of Composition.
The Royal College of Music, London
Masters degree covering all aspects of electroacoustic music and composition for screen. The institution has allowed me to develop a unique style and find my personal voice for composition, whilst grounding me in the traditional techniques of composition and orchestration. I have had extensive experience writing for orchestra, conducting and recording under pressure and producing music to a polished standard. I studied electroacoustic composition with Michael Oliva of Rarescale and now focus my continued studies on the experimental and binaural recording.
September 2007-June 2010: BA(hons) Music Production 1st Class.
Leeds College of Music
Specialising in music for the moving image, I tailored my degree to the technology side of composition for screen. I am a competent user of Logic Pro 9, CDP Soundloom software, East West symphony orchestra sample library, and Sibelius 6. I produced a children's musical audiobook, The Adventures of Kiki the Parrot, for my dissertation project. I composed the poems and the music, before recording the narration, mixing and mastering the music. This is a project I am very proud of. I have taken it to a number of primary schools and Brownie packs in the North East of England, and it was a huge achievement to see the children's enjoyment, and even getting them up to dance!
September 2004-June 2006; A-levels
St Robert of Newminster Sixth Form College, Washington
English Literature (grade A) Chemistry (grade C) Biology (grade C) AS Music (grade B) AS Religious Education (grade B) ABRSM Grade 8 Music Performance Alto Saxophone, ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory.
1. Soundscape composer and live sampler for Orlando Seale and The Swell. March 2013 – Present.
2. String Arranger for Emma Langwith Music. March 2013 - Present
3. Part time waitress at Kensington Wine Rooms. January 2013 – present.
4. Head of Sound and Composer; Schuller film production, 'Aus der Stille' September 2012 – March 2013
5. Music Technology and Composition Tutor at St Thomas' Battersea School for Mtech. October 2012 – Present.
6. Composer for audiobook 'a day without olives is like a day' By Jack Piers Scott. February 2012 – January 2013
7. Composer for Barnardos Advertising Campaign. 'Cut them Free'.
8. Composer for British Independent Feature Film, 'Interference' Dir. by Nick Pilton. January 2012 - Present
9. Composer for Korean film 'Rise Above' Dir. by Jeonguen Choi November 2011 – January 2012. Nominee for the 2012 UnderWire Film Festival's Best Composer; 'She Scores' for work completed with this director.
10. ChildReach International Team Leader Sept 2008 - July 2009: I worked in India and Nepal with the charity Childreach International. We spent two weeks trekking through the Himalayas to Everest Base camp and visited many of the projects that we helped set up. I was a team leader, responsible for fundraising and was accountable for a group of fourteen that raised £20,000 for the charity. The trip was incredible and rewarding in every way.
11. Leeds International Film Festival: Steward at Leeds International Film Festival, Nov 08 and Nov 09. (Voluntary)
12. Sky Sports: Composed and recorded the Saxophone parts for the Sky Sports commercial, Big Time Boxing, 2008
13. No-limits theatre March 2005: Activity assistant for adults with learning disabilities. Helped run music workshops.
I have also composed for many short student films and animations over the years, providing me with ample experience in the field. I enjoy the process of collaboration and use other peoples projects and ideas to inspire me.
lucy claire = electronics + strings; This is my solo project which combines the use of recorded soundscapes and electronic manipulations with both traditional and contemporary classical string quartets. My recently composed string quartets have been recorded at Konk Studios with a wonderful quartet. This is now in the mixing stages and an E.P will be released later this year with Time Released Sound. We are also performing live with this line up, and had the pleasure of playing on BBC London's Breakfast Show in February. I will be featured on Fluid Radio, A Closer Listen and various other blogs over the course of this year, I have been working on a film with David Trevail for one of my tracks this month, and this will premier on Fluid Radio. I have been carrying out a series of binaural recordings of friends live performances, my recent being Cello + Laptop who will be releasing their live show recordings over the coming month.
a day without olives is like a day; This was a collaboration with the author Jack Piers Scott. It is a poetry and short stories audiobook accompanied by an original score and ever evolving soundscape world. The audiobook has three readers, Bill Milner, Jack Piers Scott and Paul McCleary. It was nearly a year in the making, allowing me to record the narrators, and compose an extended piece of music intertwining the dialogue. The audiobook was released in January 2013, we had a beautiful book launch at X marks the Bokship in Bethnal Green where the audience were given wireless headphones to hear the work through. It was also featured at the SoundProof festival in The Forest Cafe in Edinburgh, Good Press in Glasgow, and World Poetry Day at The Roundhouse, London.
It is available as a CD or digital download. http://www.corporeal.co.uk/index
The Moon and the Yew Tree; I am currently writing and composing a ballet, taking a poem by Sylvia Plath and demonstrating it through dance and music. This is an on going project, that will develop in many different ways I am sure.