Well, the first thing you should know about me is that I'm Jewish and that I was brought up on Jewish folklore(e.g., Isaac Bashevis Singer, "The Wise Men of Helm", "Gimpel the Fool", etc.).
I'm also a high school English teacher who is well schooled in grammar and usage conventions. I love editing because I'm a writer myself, and I am ever in search of the elegant graceful sentence--my own or another's.
I recently finished editing a 600 page novel, Walter Danley's "The Tipping Point" and have also been responsible for the editing of a number of educational textbooks for K-12 use.
I enclose my resume' and hope to year from you.
4015 Pacific Avenue
Long Beach, California 90807
562-997-0433 (h)—562-407-4877 (c)
Back-to-Basics, Lakewood , California
Tutor, Program Developer August 2012-present
Developed and administered English/Language Arts SAT, ACT and AP test preparation program for high school students
Gardena High School, Gardena, California
Intervention Coordinator September 2009-June 2011
• Developed and maintained after-school core subject tutoring programs, as well as after-school and Saturday morning CAHSEE tutoring programs
• Created and developed 10th grade CAHSEE assemblies to motivate students and instill test-taking skills
• Participated in Attendance, Instructional Leadership and Testing Teams
• Administered Periodic Assessments, English/Language Arts Department
• Administered new intervention program for credit-deficient 10th graders
AP English Teacher/English Teacher September 2004-June 2009
• Taught Composition and American Literature, 11th grade; grammar; expository and creative writing; critical thinking; vocabulary; reading strategies; research and collaborative activities
• Taught Advanced Placement English, within strictures of College Board AP Program, utilizing self-designed curriculum, to accelerated 11th and12th grade students. All classes conducted at college level of learning.
• Prepared students for Advanced Placement exam, English Language & Literature (11th grade); English Literature and Composition (12th grade). Consistently achieved highest AP English pass rate at Gardena High School.
• More than 90% former AP students are now attending or have graduated from four-year colleges or universities; many have attained graduate degrees
• Voted “Most Inspirational Teacher”, 2008-09, 2009-10
David Starr Jordan High School, Long Beach, California
English/ESL Teacher September 1999-June 2004
• Taught intermediate to upper levels, English Language Development, 9th-12th graders
• Taught Honors English/Language Arts, 10th graders
• Taught speaking, reading, writing and listening skills using self-designed curriculum
• Highest percentage of CELDT passage rate in ELD Department
• Received “Top 10 Teachers” award for highest improvement of yearly CST test scores
EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO TEACHING:
1975-1991 Various motion picture studios, various Los Angeles locations
Literary Development Executive/Story Analyst/Story Editor
• Acquired and developed and literary properties for film and/or television production entities.
• Administrated 16-person Story Department, MGM Studios
1973-74 University of California at Berkeley
Comparative Literature Studies
1990-92 California State University at Long Beach
Technical Writing Certification Program
1992-96 Whittier College Whittier, CA
B.A., Integrated Arts (English, Art History, Music)
Magna *** Laude
Academic Distinction in the Major, Honors English fraternity
1997-08 Whittier College, Whittier, CA
Completed all classwork for M.A., Education