STEPHEN D. JOHNSON
SENIOR LEVEL MEDICAL EDITOR
Dedicated and committed medical publishing professional with extensive experience in biomedical writing, scientific language alignment and editing, proofreading, and coding. Known for highly professional writing and editing skills, cross functional collaborations and communications abilities, and proven strengths in completing timely and quality-controlled publications.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
Medical Publication Development • Professional Assessment/Test Development • Editing/Proofreading
Strategic Planning and Implementation • Communication and Interpersonal Skills • Team Leadership
Cross-Functional Collaboration and Cooperation • Quality Controls • Research and Analysis
Fact Checking and Background Investigations • Scientific Language Analysis and Alignment
AMERICAN BOARD OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania • 2004-2013
Medical board overseeing certifications for Internal Medicine practitioners as well as 19 other specialties.
Managed workload assignments, supervised internal staff as well as external authors, and led efforts to analyze all incoming and outgoing work product. Oversaw 10-member team including editors as well as production and graphics personnel. Evaluated editing and proofreading efforts to ensure quality controls, monitored test development from planning efforts to final draft approval, and maintained compliance with all production deadlines.
• Drove implementation of computer-based testing methodologies and transition from traditional paper and pencil testing operation.
• Attained improvements in both exam question success and production of certifying exam questions with introduction of “prototype” item-writing approach.
• Directed growth efforts for Live, scored-item pool with 25% increase in 2013 pre-test.
• Spearheaded efficiency enhancements and error reductions with introduction and management of “best practices” in production.
• Led physician educators’ workshop in item-writing, Mayo Clinic, 2009.
• Prepared format for exam blueprints and instituted Grapevine Survey (online review) from certified physicians.
NATIONAL BOARD OF MEDICAL EXAMINERS, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania • 2000-2004
Board oversees licensing examination and test development for all US medical doctors.
Evaluated and proofread certifying examinations for medical specialty boards including American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Neurological Surgery, American Board of Medical Genetics/Genetic Counseling, American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physicians, and National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants. Supervised 5-member team of assistant editors, graphics staff, and production support personnel.
• Led transition to computer-based testing practices in 2002.
• Provided collaborative support to peer editors producing examinations for other specialties including American Board of Anesthesiology/American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Board of Otolaryngology, and National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
• Directed efforts to obtain committee approvals for examination statistics.
F.A. DAVIS COMPANY, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania • 1996-2000
Medical industry publisher producing textbooks and other reference materials.
Production Editor for Outside Production Services
Oversaw production and editing operations for 4-5 simultaneous book projects. Supervised developmental editors, authors, illustrators, freelance editorial staff, proofreaders, and indexers. Ensured compliance with all budgetary and scheduling constraints, monitored permissions for illustrations, copy-edited and proofread manuscripts and galley proofs, and prepared and presented copyright materials to Library of Congress. Completed individual editing style sheets for projects.
• Edited diverse texts on Neurologic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Anatomy and Physiology, Nursing Exam Study Guide, Clinical Kinesiology, Occupational Therapy, and Medical Terminology. Gained critical experience in biomedical writing and scientific analysis.
• Used HTML and SGML and trained authors in their utilization to perform coding and editing for both print and electronic media publications.
• Coded and edited critical reference publications’ newest editions including Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary and Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses. Met all deadlines and promoted effective training methodologies.
Master of Science in Biomedical Writing (Candidacy Ongoing)
University of the Sciences, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Rutgers University, Camden, New Jersey
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
Basic Cell Biology, American Medical Writers Association (AMWA)
Basic Grammar II and Usage, AMWA
How to Write Effective Test Questions, AMWA
Introduction to Orthopedic Surgery, AMWA
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) • Adobe Acrobat • Oracle • SPSS
AdeptEditor • HTML/SGML • QuarkXPress • Corel Ventura
Member, American Medical Writers Association