A professional Japanese-to-English translator and writer with more than 20 years’ experience of delivering localisation services in the Japanese-to-English language environment. Proven track record of providing accurate, timely translations and developing more efficient translation processes and procedures. A respected colleague and a team player.
Nomura International, London, UK Jul 1994 to Sep 2012
Equity research, Japanese translation
Japanese-to-English translator/researcher working in the translation section, equity research, of Nomura International, the London-based securities broker/dealer operating company headed by Nomura Holdings, Inc.
? translating equity research, fixed income, and macroeconomic reports for distribution to clients via the sales department and publication via Nomura's website and on wire services such as Bloomberg
? checking English translations prior to supervisory analyst checks
? reformatting Japanese Excel charts and tables
? providing training in operation of computer aided translation tool
? operating and maintaining said tool
• Contributed substantially to achieving efficiency gains in the Japanese-to-English localisation process.
• Drove the introduction of a computer aided translation tool (Wordfast). This yielded a significant improvement in productivity and profitability.
• Contributed to the computerization of workflow procedures.
• Deepened understanding of the financial markets, industrial sectors, and Japanese industry.
Nikkei News Bulletin, London, UK Nov 1992 to Jul 1994
Japanese to English Translator
J-to-E translator at the London office of Japan's chief financial daily newspaper.
? translating Japanese language Nikkei news reports into English for publication on Bloomberg and other wire services
• Gained a deeper knowledge of the financial industry.
• Honed abilities as a writer of financial and economic news stories.
• Developed computer skills.
Mainichi Daily News, Tokyo, Japan Apr 1989 to Sep 1992
Japanese to English Translator, Journalist
Translator of news reports from the Japanese Mainichi newspaper for publication in the English edition. Reporter and reviewer, covering news items of special interest.
? translating news stories from the Japanese Mainichi Shimbun into English
? writing art and movie reviews
? translating and revising stories from the weekly Mainichi magazine
• Consolidated my knowledge of the Japanese language, especially in its written form.
• Gained deeper insight into Japanese culture.
• Was chosen to tour the US as a representative of the newspaper to interview senior Japanese business executives for a special edition newspaper on Japanese companies' operations there.