Amherst, NH 03031
Obtain a position in a fast-paced work environment where I can meet new challenges and apply my skills and experience as a published writer of technical and non-technical content.
Major strengths include:
• Varied and solid experience writing for technical and non-technical audiences
• Proven ability to write to deadline
• Exceptional technical, problem-solving and analytical capability
• Positive, energetic team player with exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Bachelor of Arts, English Language and Literature, University of California at Santa Barbara
Additional coursework completed at Northeastern University (Technical Communication), and Harvard Extension School (Journalism).
Pearson Education, Boston MA, 2007–present
Senior Documentation Specialist, Learning Technologies Group (LTG), Higher Education.
• Developed online help systems, printed manuals, and user guides for platform products
• Scoped project size and effort for customer-requested platform enhancements.
• Created interaction designs for platform enhancements and worked with User Experience groups to create feature prototypes.
Instructional Designer/Project Manager, Skillsoft, Inc., Nashua, NH, 2003–2007
• Developed competency-based e-Learning courseware based on Bloom’s Taxonomy and Kolb's Learning Style Inventory.
• Managed external content development teams and ensured content accuracy and adherence to e-Learning instructional design standards through phases of planning, development, and content delivery.
Instructional Designer/Technical Trainer KANA Software, Inc., Manchester, NH, 2001–2003
• Developed and delivered competency-based ILT training materials to internal and external audiences.
• Developed e-learning courseware for virtual training audiences.
• Worked closely with engineering, marketing, and subject matter experts to determine the scope, content, and customer requirements of courseware.
Senior Technical Writer Silknet Software, Inc, Manchester, NH, 2000–2001
• Wrote online user documentation and APIs for enterprise relationship management software.
Senior Technical Writer, Avid Sports, Inc., Lowell, MA, 1999–2000
• Designed and wrote online help systems for data entry and statistical analysis tools.
• Wrote and illustrated comprehensive print manuals, user guides, and quick references.
Technical Writer, WordStock Software, Inc., Watertown, MA, 1997–1999
• Developed online Help systems for UNIX-based POS inventory control systems for commercial book stores.
Journalist, Boston Globe, Boston, 1994–1997
• Wrote feature stories for the Boston Globe and Sunday Boston Globe newspapers.
Journalist, Beacon Community Newspapers, Concord, MA, 1992–1994
• Wrote book reviews, profiles, and feature stories.
Class Teacher/Deputy Headmaster, The Nairobi Academy, Nairobi, Kenya, 1988–1992
• Taught English and Social Studies.
• Scheduled all classes and managed final and mid-term examinations for a 15-member teaching staff.
Technical Skills Include
Operating systems Windows, Macintosh (OSX)
Documentation MadCap Flare, RightNow, Framemaker, RoboHelp, Acrobat, Pagemaker
Internet / networking Dreamweaver, XML Spy, HomeSite (HTML, CSS)
Source control Subversion (SVN), GitHub, SourceSafe
Other Jira, Agile/Rally, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
• Coordinator, Guitars For Vets, NH (guitarsforvets.org)
• Music instructor (guitar and music theory)
• Active, performing musician