Exceptionally talented conceptual designer with over 10 years experience crafting visual development solutions within the entertainment and branding arenas. Highly adept digital illustration skills, production design capabilities, story and art direction intelligence. Most recent high-profile clients and titles include Coke, Mattel Toys, Spike TV, Lagoon and The Tale of Despereaux video game.
Conceptual Design Director / Design CGS 2006-Present
Creative Director / HodgeGarden Studios 2008-Present
Responsible for creating comprehensive concept design solutions for local and international clients within the corporate and entertainment industries. Creative problem solving for broadcast, print, interactive, and tactile mediums. Produce elegant and stylistically innovative conceptual art, set designs, Web designs, animations, graphics, 3D models, textures and illustrations. Create highly effective fresh ideas to motivate, inspire and drive projects with an emphasis on break-through story telling.
• Lead the creative development, ideation of multi-faceted design solutions
• Establishment, interpretation and presentation of strategically spot on creative
• Creative supervision both internal and external of design initiatives
• Lead, inspire and mentor team of designers, 3D artists and production artists
• Hands on preparation of demos and presentation mock-ups
• Hands on design of conceptual pitch materials and marketing materials
• Creative Supervision mentor and lead art direction and creative concept for designers
• Produce hands-on pre-production, production and post-production materials
• Creative direction, art direction, graphic design, concept art, storyboards and illustration
• Art Direction and creative for the current Coke/Lagoon “Stop Motion Summer” commercials including “Light Painting” art direction, storyboards, mood boards and concept paintings.
• Creative Direction and execution of the highly successful Coke/Lagoon “LUSH” co-branding and marketing campaign which included broadcast, radio, online and news media resulting in significantly increased ticket and product sales, web traffic and brand awareness.
• Hands-on Design Director for Lagoon’s “Wicked” coaster campaign summer 2008. The resulting campaign featured four promotional spots produced with live action over green screen, 3D backgrounds and props combined with state of the art motion effects.
• Served as key Conceptual Design Director for Tahitian Noni’s three-day worldwide convention at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. With over 13,000 people in attendance this one-of-a-kind Broadway musical combined a revised storyline and the music of West Side Story with the brand messaging of Tahitian Noni to launch their new energy drink line.
Concept Art Director / Sensory Sweep Studios 2005-2008
Directed and mentored team of 6 concept artists responsible for producing outstanding character, environment, prop and vehicle designs for pre-production pipeline. Generated personal concept art workload as well as finished advertising illustrations for marketing materials, interface art, logos and game presentation pitches. Coordinated multi-task and cross-team efforts and communications to better facilitate efficient concept and production time schedules. Worked closely with writers, 3D artists and producers throughout game production cycle. Contributed memos, presentations and reports to weekly art and management team meetings.
• Lead entire team through pre-production concept art generation for The Tale of Despereaux - Xbox 360, PS2 and WII game versions.
• Conceptualized designed and illustrated all vehicles, environments, mood paintings, level architecture and color keys for Sentient, Alvin and the Chipmunks game titles.
Creative Director / emWare 1999-2005
Managed and directed all aspects of advertising, co-marketing and creative services reporting to executive management and CEO. Supervised creative direction efforts including national advertising campaigns, packaging, collateral and direct mail, stimulating high-level brand awareness, increased sales traffic and new partner acquisitions. Managed creative team of 5, including writers, interactive art directors and web designers to satisfy executive mandate for national level advertising and branding strategies.
• Rebuilt company brand from ground up encompassing new product packaging make-over, new corporate collateral, logos, national level advertising campaigns and redesign of company web site.
• Designed and created new trade show floor presence under extremely tight deadline and limited budget establishing increased company awareness, interest, and new sales leads, partners and industry press.
Conceptual Designer/Art Director / DSW Partners 1995-1999
Art directed and designed broadcast, interactive, print, Web and 3-D animation materials for Intel, Minolta, and other national brands. Conceptualized and developed new business TV and print advertising pitches resulting in account wins for Ask Jeeves, TenFold and San Francisco Opera. Managed, directed and mentored team of designers, animators, writers and production artists.
Art Director / Access Development Corporation 1991-1995
Supervised all art and advertising for in-house Art and Marketing department. Managed print production of directories, corporate identity, point of sale, magazine advertisements, direct mail campaigns, renewal series pieces and informational brochures. Produced all art and graphics materials for nationwide network of corporate distributors. Directed photo-shoots for directory covers, point of sale and product packaging.
Adobe Photoshop / Expert 10 years experience
Adobe Illustrator / Expert 10 years experience
Adobe InDesign / Expert 6 years experience
Adobe DreamWeaver / Intermediate 3 years experience
Adobe Flash / Intermediate 5 years experience
Adobe After Effects / Novice Less than one year
Alias Maya / Intermediate 3 years experience
Microsoft Office / Expert 8 years experience
Creative Direction / Expert 10 years experience
Storyboards / Expert 12 years experience
Conceptual Design / Expert 10 years experience
Interactive Design / Intermediate 6 years experience
Illustration / Expert 12 years experience
Creative Writing / 10 years experience
Traditional Drawing and Painting / 20 years experience
The Tale of Despereaux / Fall 08 Release Platform: PC / PS2
Sentient / Fall 08 Release Platform: PC
Jackass Platform: Nintendo DS
Justice League Heroes Platform: Nintendo DS
Dirty Harry / Cancelled Platform: PC / PS2
Eric Bute / Director / MotivFilms Phone: 310-260-6100
Grant Baird / Director / Independent Phone: 435-503-0364
Matt Hodgson / Director / Independent Phone: 801-440-7140
Expert in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Flash and Web design. Motion Design, Digital retouch, packaging, collateral, logos and all areas of advertising including TV and print. Possess a high degree of drawing, illustrative and presentation skills to effectively communicate ideas and concepts. Experienced in Maya 3D modeling, texturing, UV maps and animation. Consistently conceptualize creative and innovative solutions to difficult visual problems and follow through to final production while maintaining the highest artistic standards possible. Demonstrate willingness to take on additional work in order to meet client expectations and deadlines. Continuing and on-going emphasis on education of new emerging trends in mobile design, games, marketing and advertising.