Print, web and tablet designer seeks position where I can use my highly-creative and results-oriented design skills and experience to conceptualize innovative design solutions.
Von Gutenberg Magazine Green Venture Publishing
Freelance Print & Tablet Designer, 01/2013 – present
• Contracted to streamline and clean-up the design and layout of a start-up lifestyle magazine.
• Creating Mag+ digital apps of 5 past issues for all mobile devices.
Grey Matters Magazine Grey Matters Publications
Freelance Print Production Manager/Designer, 11/2012 – present
• Compiled all content into one organized layout.
• Ran pre-flight inspections, corrected problems (reduced printer-correction-related costs 5% in one issue).
• Directed creative team of 4 on image resolutions and quality standards.
• Performed photo retouching and sourced better quality images.
• Delivered magazine to print 10 days ahead of schedule.
• Contracted to create a website for their magazine.
Roundel Magazine BMW Car Club of America
Art Director/Creative Designer, 03/1997 – 12/2012
• Designed all editorial features and front-of-book stories for $3.2M non-profit, reaching 70K readers.
• Redesigned magazine in 2005 (subscriptions increased 3% annually and ad revenue more than doubled in 2 years)
• Collaborated with editors and photographers to define visual direction.
• Selected colors, retouched and sourced photographs, content or animation.
• Managed production, i.e., ad placement, copy edits, press okays, and digital archiving.
• Delivered magazine to print 7 days ahead of schedule 98% of the time.
• Managed budgets, created job schedules, and oversaw all printing.
• Designed event-specific website.
• Managed a specific section of the website, i.e., approved content, created pages, and monitored users.
Star Magazine Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Art Director, 12/2006 – 01/2009
• Redesigned the visual identity of the website and national magazine with 50K subscribers.
• Coordinated editorial designs, conceptualized each issue with the editor-in-chief.
• Conveyed visual concepts to photographers.
• Directed team of 5 to deliver support materials on strict deadlines 100% of the time.
• Reduced costs 5% by selecting better paper, ink, and various outside resources.
• Increased ad revenue 2% annually with international award-winning issues, features, and specialty-sections.
• 2008 International Media Awards: Awarded gold medals for Total Publication Design and for Special Sections/Single Issue.
U.S. Figure Skating National Programs USFSA, Inc.
Art Director, 11/2000 – 02/2006
• Designed the visual theme to all programs (100k circ.), athlete manuals, media kits, and promotional materials.
• Directed creative teams of 5 to 10 people.
• Worked with illustrators and photographers to create event graphics.
• Meet strict deadlines 100% of the time (even during the holidays).
• Increased overall viewership by collaborating with creative team to develop inspiring artwork for marketing initiatives.
• Maximized profitability by controlling budgets, managing price quotes, and successfully negotiating vendor contracts.
CG Magazine The Greyhound Project, Inc.
Graphic Designer, 11/1999 – 02/2001
• Conceptualized and designed all editorial pages, managed deadlines, prepared all color proofs and files for printing.
• Redesigned features to reflect a more modern and youthful approach.
BFA in Graphic Design, Mass College of Art; BS in Business and Resources Economics, University of Maine