• Media executive with strong track record in print and digital strategy and content creation
• Strategic thinker, smart packager, and experienced marketer and brand manager
• Seasoned media spokesperson
• Editor and writer known for excellence, versatility, and integrity
• Superb manager of staff and resources
• President, Andrea Barbalich Consulting
Founder of firm providing editorial and marketing expertise to media, nonprofit, and corporate clients. Services include managing, launching, and repositioning publications across all platforms, managing and packaging print and digital projects and products, writing and editing content in a wide variety of subject areas, staff management and coaching, media training, event planning, and media promotion and placement. Recent clients include Health Monitor Network, Scholastic, and Meredith. February 2013 to present.
• Executive Editor, First for Women
For women’s magazine selling 1 million newsstand copies every three weeks, developed editorial staff while top-editing and overseeing visuals for all FOB, BOB, and feature-well content from idea stage through galleys. This included cutting-edge natural-health and nutrition content, a 20-page cookbook in each issue, and lifestyle coverage of décor, travel, gardening, beauty, fashion, personal finance, and celebrities. In a ferociously competitive media landscape, maintained relentless focus on quality and meeting consumers’ needs in order to differentiate First from other women’s titles and drive single-copy sales. Also managed Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest content and worked directly in Drupal to oversee beauty, home décor, food, and nutrition blogs. January 2011 to February 2013.
• Deputy Editor, Reader’s Digest
For winner of the 2009 National Magazine Award for General Excellence, generated ideas for, edited, and wrote cover packages and features. Oversaw content that consistently received the highest ratings in reader satisfaction and generated PR and web traffic. Other responsibilities included top editing, overseeing cover tests (with a resulting 8% increase in newsstand sales), writing coverlines, collaborating with art and photo on visuals, bringing in and maintaining excellent relationships with writers, working closely with the digital team on web features and social-media initiatives, and developing brand extensions for cellphone and iPad. March 2008 to June 2010.
• Executive Editor, Westchester Weddings magazine
Oversaw every aspect of regional bridal magazine, including idea generation, assigning, editing, writing, and packaging. Also handled market work for beauty products, bridal gowns, home accessories, and more. Worked closely with art department on photography and design. Hired and supervised freelance writers. Managed budget. 2007
• Executive Editor, Child
Worked hand-in-hand with editor in chief to reposition title as a lifestyle brand with 1 million circulation. Magazine won 30+ awards and increased 48% in revenue and pages following redesign. Oversaw all assignments, planned all issue lineups, top-edited magazine singlehandedly, and approved art concepts and layouts. Supervised and trained editors and managed budget. Collaborated on events, partnerships, and publicity initiatives with marketing staff and PR firm. Accompanied publisher and sales staff on ad calls. Represented magazine on television an average of once a week. Simultaneously launched and managed the magazine’s website, which included overseeing updates, developing new tools, planning special features, and creating videos and slideshows. 2000 to April 2007. Promoted from deputy editor.
• Executive Editor, iVillage
Co-created and managed pregnancy and parenting content. Conceived of cutting-edge digital ideas; wrote, edited, and approved a broad range of interactive content; and worked with design and technical staff to launch channel. Simultaneously edited two print magazines: Lamaze Parents, with a circulation of 2.5 million expectant parents, and Lamaze Baby, read by 3 million new parents. July 1999 to 2000.
• Executive Editor, Lamaze Family
Generated ideas and assigned, edited, and wrote articles for new magazine for parents. Worked with art, production, marketing, and advertising teams to launch title. Magazine was named one of the year’s most notable startups by Media Industry Newsletter; circulation of 750,000 grew to more than 1 million. Simultaneously edited Lamaze Parents and Lamaze Baby. April 1998 to July 1999.
• Executive Editor, Parent & Child and Early Childhood Today, Scholastic Inc.
Oversaw editorial for two magazines, one with a circulation of 1.2 million parents and the other with a circulation of 60,000 teachers. Supervised staff. Approved story ideas, issue lineups, final copy, and layouts. Assigned, wrote, and edited articles. Improved editorial quality and creativity, on-time record, interaction with readers, and relationships with authors. Launched two websites, ahead of schedule and under budget. July 1996 to April 1998.
• Managing Editor, Currents, Council for Advancement and Support of Education
Managed editorial, design, and production of monthly education magazine for nonprofit organization. Managed art and production staff. Set and maintained schedule. Planned each issue’s page configuration. Researched, assigned, and edited a high volume of articles. Wrote stories, headlines, captions, and coverlines. 1990 to 1996. Promoted from assistant editor and associate editor.
• Editorial Assistant, Stratton/Petersen Publishing & Public Relations
Assisted managing editors in generating PR for clients, as well as editing, writing, and production of magazines, newsletters, brochures, and surveys. 1988 to 1989.
MARKETING & EVENTS
• Launched and managed successful brand extensions, including Child magazine’s Children’s Champion Awards, Children’s Book of the Year Awards, Mother’s Day half-marathon in Central Park, and first-ever children’s fashion show during Fashion Week at Bryant Park
• Have worked with numerous celebrities and agents
• Extensive contacts across multiple categories, including parenthood, education, health, beauty, home, bridal, food, and children’s literature
• Successful appearances on the Today show, the CBS Early Show, CNN, Weekend Today, and many other national and local programs
• Speaker at events and conferences
Editor of the following titles:
• Feeling Safe: Talking to Children About War and Terrorism
• School Leadership for the Future: Leading an Independent School
• The Handbook of Marketing Independent Schools
• Penny-Wise: A Guide for Independent School Families
• Penny-Wise: Paying for Your Child’s Independent School Education
• Stories of Excellence: Case Studies of Exemplary Teaching and Learning with Technology
• Writer for numerous magazines and websites, including ivillage.com, match.com, whattoexpect.com, Modern Bride, Westchester Magazine, and Westchester Home.
• Author of breakthrough magazine features, including a story for the November 2011 issue of Parents magazine that received a merit award from the Health Information Resource Center
• Creator of a microsite about diabetes for family.com, which involved generating ideas for and writing dozens of articles to drive traffic to content sponsored by Eli Lilly
• Essayist for babble.com, Child magazine, and Southwest Airlines’ Spirit magazine
• Essayist for the LIFE book, The American Spirit, published to commemorate the one-year anniversary of September 11
• Author of the foreword to Dorling Kindersley’s Guide to Baby & Child Care
• Weekly columnist for gethatched.com
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University
National Magazine Award for General Excellence (Reader’s Digest), numerous editorial excellence awards from Folio: and Matrix (Child and Currents magazines), MIN award for most notable startup (Lamaze Family), merit award from the Health Information Resource Center (for writing “Moms on Drugs,” Parents magazine)
Advocate for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Room to Read, and Midnight Run