Professional Experience and Skills
• Considerable experience writing accurately and engagingly about myriad topics, and editing manuscripts for scholarly and general publications.
• Extensive knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style, APA, and other major style guides.
• Managing editor, copy editor, magazine staff writer, contributing author for books.
• Skilled at conducting interviews, researching stories, tracking down artwork for articles/books.
• Versatile author of book chapters, magazine feature articles, Web content, press releases.
• Special gift for making complex ideas understandable and interesting to the general reader, and an exceptional ear for language.
Freelance writer-editor (Feb. 2002-present)
Writing and editing articles on medical conditions/diseases for Healthline; technical editing; copyediting and developmental editing of fiction and nonfiction book manuscripts; creating content for Web sites that is search-engine optimized; writing and editing for Fearless and Free, a book to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of NEH; writer-editor on Humanities magazine: substantive editing, rewriting features, writing original stories, research, selecting art, contacting with state councils, etc. Also includes PR work with the government office; editing for national associations, and contributing chapters to The Book of Rule for DK Books.
Writer-editor, Endeavors magazine (April 2001-Feb. 2002)
Identified stories and wrote magazine, newspaper, and newsletter features on wide-ranging topics, including gene expression, education, and history; worked with photographer at shoots to achieve desired photos; selected art (and secured permission) for my stories; wrote marketing copy; etc.
Managing editor, Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry (Sept. 1997-April 2001)
Substantially edited pieces for scholarly and general audiences; worked with authors to shape and refine pieces; and ensured that publication deadlines were met. Wrote and edited grants.
Copy editor, Oxford University Press (June 1996-Nov. 1997)
Substantially edited manuscripts for the American National Biography; marked manuscripts for the compositor; queried authors; recast manuscripts; alerted copy chief to factual problems with manuscripts not caught by fact checker; etc.
B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Major: history; minor: art history and English literature