Michael J. Penner
819 S. Pinkham
Visalia, CA. 93292
Position: Mid-Level Business Development Team Member
Objective: Put to use my proven skills as a technologist, communicator, marketer, and problem solver to fulfill the role of a mid-level business development team member.
· 7 years experience supporting clinical information systems, implementing clinical software solutions, supporting other implementers, and providing onsite and classroom setting training at facilities throughout the U.S.
· 17 years of experience in software and technology, including running my own web marketing / web-based software solutions business for the past 6 years.
B.A. in Management and Organizational Development, Fresno Pacific University
1993 – 2000: Started Total Pharmaceutical Care’s first field-focused technical support organization for their Clinical Information Systems rollouts nationwide. TPC was a home infusion company. Soon after went to Apria Healthcare to continue this work, then on to DaVita where I branched out of tech support into project management and field training for clinicians. The jump from company to company was due to mergers and acquisitions, which were rampant in the 90’s. My roles:
· Manager of National Technical Support, including Guam.
· Network Rollout Support to dialysis facilities throughout the U.S.
· Clinical systems implementations and training clinicians on the clinical software, which involved both patient electronic medical records (EMR) and capturing data from dialysis machines.
2001-2002: After working several years in the corporate environment I decided to join a small software startup in Spokane, Washington called Byte Dynamics. This company produced handheld sales force solutions for Sanrio (Hello Kitty), and for small sales teams representing medical equipment companies such as Medtronics. My role:
· Establish the company’s Quality Assurance Paradigms and Best Practices
· Provide Technical Writing Services
· Provide Technical Marketing Materials: diagrams, animations, presentations.
· Provide field training on the software and handheld devices
2002-2004: Hired at Toolbuilders Laboratories by the former CEO of Byte Dynamics. Toolbuilders was owned by Sandy Wheeler, the founder of Bowflex. The company produced a highly technical software program known as a static source code analyzer. The software’s job was to help programmers uncover exploits and vulnerabilities in embedded systems software (C language) as coding occurred. My role:
· Marketing Assistant / Technical Writer, later promoted to Director of Marketing.
Be a liaison between programming and marketing, helping marketing to better understand the software’s highly technical nature and the core value messages that needed to appear in all marketing material aimed at the programming audience.
· Strategy sessions with the CEO (Sandy Wheeler) and Product Manager (Dave Lenartz) to identify and develop markets.
· Work closely with senior software development staff and the product manager as Director of Marketing.
· Created the software’s entire identity package: Software’s name (Sempre: which means all moving in the same direction), logos, splash screens, tradeshow booths, portable media packaging, online banner ads, as well as managing online media buys.
· Built e-commerce website.
2004 to Present: Started MJ Penner Consulting, Inc. to help small and medium size businesses leverage the internet to meet target goals for their organizations. My role:
· Land accounts for my company ranging from simple to complex websites.
· Present web marketing concepts to business owners, CEO’s, and Boards, and provide strategic consulting services to the same for web design and web marketing.
· Track all expenditures and resource outlays, including sub-contractors, additional web software from Application Server Providers (ASPs) and other additional resources.
· Work closely with professional graphic designers to develop the site’s look and feel.
· Code the site.
· Write compelling site content, drawing on my previous experiences of doing the same with the software startups previously mentioned.
· In one of my more notable engagements I wrote the white paper used by VCare Health Systems to market their VST MyoDynamic Device. Their online marketing strategies, written site content and design, and printed marketing communications were also part of this engagement.
· Coordinate graphic designers and programmers to build websites.
· Designed and developed Visalia’s first interactive online magazine, valleytrends.com.
· Ongoing writer of the Tech Hero article for ValleyTrends.
· I am a highly skilled communicator with experience writing marketing material geared toward clinicians and other medical professionals.
· Learning new things is a continuous requirement for a small business owner, as is moving quickly from one detailed and involved project to another. I’m adept at both.
· I interface well with the senior staff at companies large and small, and have the ability to understand the big picture.
· I bring humor and a sense of pride to every job I perform, and have the ability to inspire others toward common goals or to help them align their goals with that of the overall organization for the project of the moment.
· I take direction well, provide leadership when required, and highly value collaboration.