Quick Bio: Japanese to English translator/English Technical Writer for over 13 years.
Working in most major fields of translation.
Tim Brent Oftebro
Native Language English and Japanese
2007 - 2011
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby BC, Canada
Bachelor of Education
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby BC, Canada.
Bachelor of General Studies
Kansai Gaidai University, Hirakata city Osaka, Japan.
Foreign exchange program through Simon Fraser
University (1 year Asian Studies Program)
Douglas College, New Westminster BC, Canada
Computer Information Systems Major
Studies in Business and Computer Science Subjects including Coop Work placement at BC Systems Corporation.
Number of years of working experience 13 yrs
-Details and Description
August 2011 to March 2013
Schneider Electric – Burnaby, BC. Canada
(Position title: In-house Japanese to English Translator and Software Localizer)
-Translation of industrial automation documentation for GP-Pro Ex software platform
-Technical writing for GP-Pro Ex software platform
- Participated in the localization of GP-Pro Ex product manual in 8 languages.
- Software interface image capture, image text insertion in 7 languages etc, and HELP file verification
Testing of product manual by following test instructions, and log results
- Used Framemaker, Axosoft OnTime, MS Visual SourceSafe, Sharepoint, Ms-Office, Trados
March 2012 to present
Nintendo North America – Redmond, Washington. USA
Position title: Translator (external)
Translation and localization of technical documents pertaining to contributor game software, legal agreements, marketing specific documents, game promotion material, email, website, other privileged documents.
2006 – Present
Mnemonic Translations Inc.
Position title: Owner/Operator
• Translation and localization of documents NOT limited to the following for a large number of highly recognized direct clients and language service providers (LSP’s) around the globe.
Commercial contracts and regulations
Legal compliance, ediscovery, other corporate litigation.
Accounting and audit reports, quarterly reports, business results reports securities/commodities/finance reports, equity research reports, analyst reports, market research reports market summaries, industry analysis,
Consumer electronics products such as mobile phones (including wireless devices such as Bluetooth devices, tablets, game consoles etc)
Software interfaces and related documentation
Industrial machines and equipment
Industrial tools and equipment
Power generating systems
Mechanical devices/components and equipment
Gaming software backstories
Telecom and wireless
Game console product manuals
Product planning and development manuals
Press releases and marketing information
Network technical specifications, data feeds
Web site and social media software interface and related documents
Automotive and automotive technologies
Patent rejection notifications
February 2009– June 2009
Panasonic (contracted to Transperfect L.L.C) Osaka, Japan
Position title: E-discovery Compliance Translation Project Manager
• Lead Manager in charge large scale translation/review project (staff of 225 translators). Responsible from beginning to end including coordination with Panasonic legal team and American legal advising team to satisfy legal compliance requirements of merger of Sanyo/Panasonic in the United States.
• Trained and communicated with translator staff and team leaders concerning ongoing project change requirements.
• Created project objectives, approaches, cost estimates, staffing plans, coordination and hand-over plans among team members and ensured these fit together and are realistic and achievable within project timelines.
• Defined explicit quality assurance goals, metrics, methods etc, with key stakeholders and team members.
• Established project plan and coordinated final delivery of translated materials with the client.
August 2006 to August 2007
Kansai In-flight Catering( Kansai International Airport) Osaka Japan
•Cabin crew and station manager liaison, briefing coordinator and communications manager for all in-flight catering services/uplifted items.
•Manager of all Air Canada operational, administrative bulletin updates and regulated documentation compliance.
•Manager of Air Canada catering service level manuals, galley level manuals, meal level manuals.
•Safety and service standards and regulations compliance manager.
•Manager of Air Canada bonded inventory management and requisitioning/local purchasing.
•Coordinator of internal and external in-flight service operational and handling safety, and production safety audits.
•Manager for billing and invoicing, reporting of uplifted items to Air Canada from KIX.
•Dispatch and communications center coordinator for Air Canada, Alitalia, Private & charter Aircraft.
May 2003 – June 2006
Sanyo Electric Co.,Ltd. (contracted to Dentsu Inc.) Osaka, Japan
Position title: Technical Writer/Product Tester
• Developed and wrote content for two mobile phone user manuals, service manuals.
• Performed verification and functionality testing of mobile phone product manuals with mobile phones.
• Facilitated team sessions among stake-holding departments to improve communications of team members and project success
.• Coordinated meetings and liaised with overseas partners, developers
October 2001 – April 2003
Panasonic (contracted to Idea Institute Inc.) Osaka, Japan
Position title: Translator/Editor/Technical Writer/Tester
• Translated consumer product user manuals, service manuals, product support web sites, marketing documentation, software specifications, engineering specifications and pamphlets.
• Product verification tester after translation/updating of user manuals.
• Established communication channels for project internally and externally among key members and players
August 1999 - September 2001
DNA Media Group. Tokyo & Vancouver
Position title: Translation/Localization Project Manager
• Manager of multi-language translation and localization products including software and other related documents (Japanese, Chinese, Korean).
• Software and documentation verification tester for post localized software products and documents (Japanese, Chinese, Korean).
• Manager of web site translation and localization including markup languages (HTML, XML) and others.
• Reviewed job specifications to make sure product/service meets client needs
• Identified and developed workflow & processes for all staffing, materials/items required to complete work for project.
• Checked final product at various stages of process to ensure quality and accuracy.
July 1996 - July/1999
Gojo City Board of Education Gojo City, Japan
Position title: Coordinator of International Relations
• Coordinated various community events and acted as primary translator and interpreter for several document translations and meetings.
• Speaker and coordinator for International affairs and relations public seminars.
• Public school visitations and coordination, planning and development of activities with teachers and other staff.
Advanced Microsoft Office user (Excel, Word, PPT etc), Ms-Paint, MS-Visio, MS Visual Source Safe, SDL Trados Freelance user, Framemaker user, Software localization (Catalyst), Sharepoint, Axosoft On time