FAZILA S. K. MAHOMED
18 Bishop Gaul Avenue, Belvedere, Harare, Zimbabwe
Tel: +263 77 2 333 267 or +263 4 2917566 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been working in and around the international development and human rights fields for more than ten years, both as a program coordinator and media specialist in Zimbabwe and Pakistan. Fluent in English and Urdu
Key Experience in Media: Media consultant for Amnesty International (AI)
International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC), Community Service
Program Coordinator and freelance Correspondent for Voice of America’s Zimbabwe Service, Studio
Key Experience in Hospitality: ZAFRAAN, Pakistani & Indian Restaurant Proprietor
CAMELOT EXECUTIVE LODGE, MANAGERESS & GUEST RELATIONS
THE CENTURY OLD CASTLE IN THE MISTY MOUNTAINS OF VUMBA IN THE EASTER HIGLLANDS OF ZIMBABWE, Bed & Breakfast luxury accommodation
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL (NOVEMBER / DECEMBER 2010) – Media Consultant for launch of NO CHANCE TO LIVE, NEW BORN DEATHS AT HOPLEY SETTLEMENT, ZIMBABWE
MEDIA CENTRE – BOARD MEMBER AS WELL AS COMMITTEE MEMBER FOR TRAINING (2010)
REALIZING RIGHTS: THE ETHICAL GLOBALIZATION INITIATIVE, MARY ROBINSON, FORMER PRESIDENT OF IRELAND (APRIL 2010) - Media Consultant, worked with the women’s ministry as well during the delegations visit
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL (JUNE 2009) - Media consultants with Amnesty International’s Press officer for the Secretary General Irene Khan’s first ever visit to Zimbabwe.
PHOTO EXHIBITION AT NATIONAL ART GALLERY OF ZIMBABWE – During International women's month 2010
(Voice of America, Studio 7) VOA Broadcasting Services
(April 2003 - to date) - Reporting on current Political, Health, HIV AIDS, Business and Human Interest issue
(International Catholic Migration Commission) ICMC Community Service Program
Coordinator - Based at Tongogara Refugee Camp, Zimbabwe. Directly responsible for all administrative and financial management of the program, including monitoring and evaluation, quality control, report writing, establishing procedures and standards, and developing and maintaining case files and client database. Specific achievements
- Facilitated greater refugee involvement and leadership in all ICMC programmes and activities.
- Facilitated the development of a refugee women’s protection network in the camp.
- Assessed and developed special services and programmes for refugee widows.
- Assessed the psychosocial needs of refugee women and youth affected by ****** harassment gender based violence.
- Administered the secondary school scholarship program with Refugee participation.
- Developed distribution system for non-food items through the Refugees Women’s Club.
- Identified resource persons to come to the camp to conduct workshops on gender-based violence, human rights, refugee rights and responsibilities.
- Established a refugee screening committee for ICMC small project Fund.
- Supported Refugee Youth Council initiatives such as HIV/AIDS education, camp sanitation, the scouts through guidance an resources.
- Established working agreements with all available service providers.
- Monitored program expenses on relevant direct assistance line items of budget
- Developed procedures and standards for program work
- Established regular camp-based meetings with all program partners and refugee leaders.
- Managed, supervised and trained ICMC camp based Zimbabweans and refugee staff
• BBC ASIA NEWS (Freelancer March 2001 - November 2002) Interviews for BBC Asia News on food riots in Zimbabwe/ Food - Summit/Effects on war veteran activities in the Asian community
• Research for Amnesty International (Zimbabwe 2000)
Produced documentation on Parliamentary election
- Monitored in the rural areas
- Interviewed local victims
• Violence Reports for Zimbabwe National Constitutional Assembly & Parliamentary Elections (2000)
- Concentrated on rural locations for interviews of violence during elections
- Assisted with footage production
- Mberengwa/ Masvingo - compiled extensive interviews
• BBC Asia service (Zimbabwe Parliamentary Elections 2000)
- Organizing interview
- Compiled a comprehensive database of contacts
• Nyerai, Movie Productions Company
- As a Research Assistant and Launch Organizer for the documentary On the Border by Tsitsi Dangarembgwa
- Interviewing landmine victims
- Sought research material via Zimbabwe National Army
- Collected information from de-mining companies
STUDY TRIP TO INDIA – EMERGING POWERS INDIA & CHINA (DEC, JAN 2010)
MANAGING THE MEDIA: A Multi Media Approach (JULY 2009) – Voluntary
Media Council Zimbabwe & Digital Media Africa in Harare, Zimbabwe•
INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST (JUNE 2009) –
Organized by Centre for Social Accountability & CPA at Rhodes
University, Graham’s town in South Africa. •
DOING ETHICS (MAY 2009) – Organized by Voluntary Media Council
Zimbabwe & FOJO Media Institute of Sweden. Facilitated by Ranga
Kalansooriya, Sri Lanka Press Institute•
Safety Training & Conflict Conscious Reporting Workshop in Zambia
(April 2009) -Organized by International News Safety Institute & International Media Support
Reporting on Health Issues beyond Cholera & Other Epidemic Figures
(April 2009) - Organized by the Humanitarian Information Facility Center
World Press Photo Workshop and Exhibition (FEBRUARY 2009) - Organized
By Netherlands Embassy at National Art Gallery of Zimbabwe-facilitated
By Kelvin Dondo with an exhibition with work of participants.
STUDY TOUR TO SWEDEN (JUNE 2004)
Sweden, through the Embassy in Harare and the Swedish Institute in Stockholm, facilitated a study tour to Sweden for working journalists in Zimbabwe
UNCESCO - UNESCO WORKSHOP ON JUDGING MOVIES (1999) Student Movie
Director - (Facing Reality) 5 wks UNESCO
A training course conducted by UNESCO gave me the opportunity to explore a category of work that I was repeatedly drawn to. “Facing Reality” studied disadvantaged life in Zimbabwe. The aspects covered on this project included casting, editing and directing
ENGLISH, URDU, PUNJABI, (FLUENT WITH SPEAKING, READING AND WRITING) ARABIC (ONLY READING & WRITING)