Being part of the New York creative community for almost twenty years, I’ve gained experience in publishing, advertising, marketing and multimedia. I’m formally trained in Graphic Design and Advertising with an expert knowledge of the latest software and trends for both web and print. I have managerial experience supervising support staff, and welcome the opportunity to mentor young artists.
As a successful business owner of Maurer Graphics and Maurer Website Design, I’ve worked on exciting projects with talented professionals in a range of industries. This has kept my perspective fresh and versatile. I’ve an eye for detail and perfection. Combining these traits with my diplomatic personality, I’m able to excel in any setting.
My goal as a graphic artist is to create customized designs that stand the test of time and standout in the marketplace. I love clean, elegant designs using stunning imagery, cutting-edge typography and innovative color theory. Please check out my award-winning portfolio.
I’m looking for a challenging freelance or contract position where I could contribute my business experience and skills making me a valuable asset to your company.
Maurer Graphics, Tappan, NY
Owner/Art Director, 2004-present
• Founded and manage a successful graphic design agency for print and multimedia clients providing turnkey solutions by acting as a full-service consultant throughout the scope of the project and creating concepts into effective corporate materials as they envision by using elegant designs with stunning imagery, cutting-edge typography and innovative color theory.
• Develop Internet and intranet sites to reflect the organization’s goals and identity using strong knowledge of web strategy, site architecture, copy/design integration and user-interface design for the front-end combined with leveraging innovative technology and functionality for programming of the back-end.
• Print projects: Billboard & poster display, book covers, booklets, bookmarks, bumper stickers, calendars, catalogs, CD-ROM covers/jewel inserts/sleeves, club card flyers, decals, die cut stickers, door hangers, event tickets, flyers, folded cards, greeting cards, invitations, labels, menus, notepads, packaging, panel cards, product design, product hang tags, product identity, rack cards, response cards, signage, stickers, tickets and wine labels.
• Internet projects: banner ads & icons, e-mail & RSS, e-mail design, flash & web animation, internet marketing, search engine marketing, search engine optimization, testing & QA, usability testing, user experience design, web 2.0, web design, web development and web landing pages.
Acxiom, New York, NY
Creative Services Manager, 2001-2004
• Designed winning Customer Relationship Management (CRM) programs and direct mail campaigns based on strategic database marketing ensuring objectives are executed in a manner that most complements the established brand by creating powerful messages and strong visuals that sell a product or a service to the targeted demographic audience for high-end retail and financial clientele.
• Collaborated with account executives for their creative services offerings to acquire new business by preparing proposals, presenting comps at on-site sales pitches and attending conference calls to prospective customers.
• Projects: Annual reports, banners, brochures, business cards, direct mail pieces, envelopes, folders, ID badges, identity packages, letterhead, logos, mailers, marketing communications/coordination/plans, pocket folders, postcards, PowerPoint presentation, presentation folders, sales data sheets, stationery, trade show banners and tri-fold brochures.
Torre Lazur, Parsippany, NJ
Senior Art Director, 2000
• Conceptualized advertising strategies, maintained on-going campaigns and presented ad pitches for pharmaceutical clients by combining a sophisticated knowledge of marketing, sales and advertising with strong design and production skills into creative concepts to attract attention and increase sales while strengthening the established branding.
• Supervised support personnel consisting of junior art directors, production artists, illustrators and photo editors.
• Scouted locations, cast models and directed photography shoots.
• Projects: Advertising concepts, advertising management, counter cards, magazine ads, newspaper ads, print ads, product/brand management, promotional materials and table tents.
Cahners Travel Group, Secaucus, NJ
Art Director, Travel Weekly Custom Publishing, 1994-2000
• Customized travel-destination publications, or “advertorials,” to set the client apart from their competition while communicating their corporate vision by presenting the information visually, so it is appealing, professional and organized from conception through final production of print-ready files using QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign.
• Trained and supervised a staff consisting of junior designers, a photo editor and freelance artists; hired photographers; and contracted illustrators while juggling multiple projects under tight production deadlines within budget.
• Prepared comps to be used by the sales and the marketing departments for prospective clients.
• Projects: Advertorials, consumer magazines, custom publishing, layout/desktop publishing, illustration, magazines, newsletters, page layout, photo editing, publication production and tabloid magazines.
Additional Relevant Experience
Graphic Design and Print Production for Advertising/Editorial roles at American Payroll Association, Aquent Partners, BMT Communications, KBC Publishing & Expositions, Marvel Comics, Research Institute of America, Schnell Publishing, Sun America and Ziff Davis Publishing.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
• Motion Over Time, New York, NY
Attended “Web Development Workshop” and “Multimedia and Shockwave Workshop using Director,” 2000
• The New School, New York, NY
Attended HTML class, “World Wide Web Page Design and Construction,” 1998
• Parsons School Of Design, New York, NY
AAS: Graphic Design and Advertising, 1987-1989
• University Of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
BA: Majored in Anthropology, Minored in Psychology, 1983-1987
• Hardware: Proficient primarily on Macintosh OS X (version 10.8.2) with working knowledge of PC operating system.
• Print design and production software: QuarkXPress 9, Adobe Creative Cloud (Adobe Creative Suite 6: Adobe Photoshop® CS6 Extended, Adobe Illustrator® CS6, Adobe Muse™, Adobe InDesign® CS6, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® 4, Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, Adobe Dreamweaver® CS6, Adobe Acrobat® XI Pro, Adobe Flash® Professional CS6, Adobe Flash Builder® 4.7 Premium Edition, Adobe Edge Tools & Services, Adobe Fireworks® CS6, Adobe Game Developer Tools, Adobe Premiere® Pro CS6, Adobe After Effects® CS6, Adobe Audition® CS6, Adobe SpeedGrade™ CS6, Adobe Prelude™ CS6, Adobe Encore® CS6, Adobe Story Plus, Adobe Bridge CS6, Adobe Media Encoder CS6, Adobe Photoshop Touch and Adobe Ideas) and Microsoft Office:mac 2009 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage).
• Open source Content Management System (CMS) software: WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal and Mambo.
Include overall web project management from design and development to on-going maintenance for 40+ websites, including personal online business portfolios.