CHRISTINA L. ST-JEAN
264 WESSENGER DRIVE BARRIE, ONTARIO L4N 8R6
OBJECTIVE: A productive, fulfilling career as a writer who can deliver interesting, funny and informative articles to the public on a regular basis.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
• Three years as a journalist with a weekly newspaper in Cold Lake, Alberta.
• A year as a public relations/administration assistant for a karaoke company.
• Able to type 70 to 80 words per minute on a word processor.
• Three years as an adult educator, both as a second language instructor and as a computer education instructor.
• Experience in teaching English as a Second Language to adults whose first language was something other than French.
• Strong working knowledge of both Macintosh and PC computer systems.
• PC system programs include: MS Office, Corel Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Pagemaker, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Netscape Communicator, and Internet Explorer.
• Macintosh system programs include: Corel Suite, MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PhotoDeluxe, Netscape Communicator, Internet Explorer, Quark XPress, and Presto!Imagefolio for Mac.
• An enthusiastic and willing learner who is dedicated to any task and any staff she may be a part of.
Sept. 1990 – April 1994 University of Alberta, Edmonton
Bachelor of Education, Secondary Route
Major: English Minor: Second Languages (French)
January 2012-present Freelance Writer, home based, Barrie, Ontario, Canada.
• Wrote a wide range of literature – articles, academic papers, training manuals, advertisements – on a diverse set of topics.
• Wrote most frequently about technology, health, and music.
• Became known for meeting deadlines effectively and efficiently.
October 2007-present Teacher, Barrie Learning Centre, Barrie, Ontario.
• Taught at a variety of experiential and educational levels including Workplace English, Gr. 11 Workplace Math, Gr.11 Workplace Law, Computers (both an Open credit and Remedial level), Foundations for Success (now GLE3O)
• Integrated both Smart Board technology and Smart Skills, as well as Multiple Intelligences, throughout my courses
• Assisted other classes and teachers with computer issues that came up during classes or working periods
• Adapted quickly to rapidly-changing situations and teacher responsibilities
• Collaborated with both the Continuing Education and Phoenix teachers on a variety of assignments and duties
• Wrote articles about students who wanted to share their educational journey through the Learning Centres’ environment
May – August 2007 Marketing Coordinator, Siemens Transportation Group Inc. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
• Worked with an international company to provide marketing services.
• Updated company websites and intranets.
• Redesigned company newsletter “Signs” and worked towards rebuilding another company site.
July 2002 – Jan. 2003 Family Education Coordinator, 4 Wing Military Family Resource Centre, Cold Lake, Alberta
• Non-profit managerial role.
• Applied for funding from various sources, including the United Way.
• Prepared monthly Deployment Support newsletters for family members of serving military personnel
• Individually briefed members about to go on deployment.
• Supported initiatives such as Operation Santa Claus; approached businesses for their support of Christmas morale packages for 4 Wing military personnel serving overseas.
• Prepared Second Language Training schedules for military personnel and their spouses.
• Organized contracts through training providers.
• Prepared publicity for courses and regular reports for areas of responsibility.
Nov. 1998 – Sept. 2001 Reporter, Cold Lake Sun, Cold Lake, Alberta
• Wrote 10 to 20 stories weekly and completed layout process using Macintosh computers.
• Prepared the newspaper’s website on a weekly basis.
• Covered education-related, military-related, and health-related events.
• Helped with the preparation of bilingual advertisements.
• Acted as editor in editor’s absence; made editorial decisions as required.
• Maintained objective reporting standards and positive relationships throughout the community.
Available upon request.