Seasoned communications professional with global experience in corporate, not-for-profit and entrepreneurial business communications.
• Unequalled ability to secure media placements and develop media relationships;
• Demonstrated success in counseling senior leadership on brand image, building stakeholder alliances, identifying emerging opportunities, crisis management, risk mitigation;
• Innovative, goal-driven leader regarded for candor, integrity and delivering measurable results, including increased sales, revenue, corporate reputation, product consideration;
• Award-winning writer: speeches, annual reports, technical writing, employee communications, print and digital content.
• Seasoned events manager with global experience in shows and exhibits.
MY WORD, LLC, Pleasant Ridge, MI 2006-Present
Principal, Public Relations Firm
Provide strategic communications solutions. Specialize in corporate reputation management, brand awareness, product publicity and media relations.
• Implemented media strategy for health-care clients including print, electronic and new-media outlets. Improved brand awareness of clients based on internal metrics.
• Directed annual report for major health-care client.
• Launched East Coast product roll-out and awareness initiative for financial institution.
• Secured media placements for local businesses and national advocacy clients.
• Produced web-based video series for global education client, national product roll-out.
• Voice-over work for various web-based and radio advertising.
MACKINAC BRIDGE JESUS 2012
The book is a collection of twisted, tragic, comedic and tender biographical essays about healing, forgiveness and the power of prayer. Available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and www.cmyword.com.
JACOKES COMMUNICATIONS/FORD MOTOR COMPANY, Dearborn, MI 2007-2009
Communications Director, Global Design, Research and Technology Staffs
Direct all communications activities for three global organizations.
• Secure media placements in national and global trade, industry and lifestyle publications and with digital/new media.
• Responsible for annual Design, Technology, R&D communications strategies.
• Responsible for cross marketing; co-promotion, consumer outreach with technology partners, consumer facing media, industry influentials, early adopters, bloggers.
• Manage communications for Chief Creative Officer and Chief Technology Officer.
• Support national launch of new vehicles, technologies and SYNC applications.
• Responsible for Design and Technology elements of North American auto shows and Consumer Electronics Show, including all concept vehicles and technology innovations.
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION, Detroit, MI 1986-2006
Senior Media Relations Manager, Advanced Technology Staff 2005-2006
• Developed global communication strategy for alternative propulsion vehicles. Served as company spokesperson on technical, environmental, social and regulatory issues.
• Developed global communications and integrated marketing strategy for: media, government, lobbyists, celebrities, and consumers.
• Developed and executed launch events, editorial boards, backgrounders, executive interviews and all media materials.
• Communications lead with federal government agencies including Department of Energy and National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
• Placed stories with major dailies including The Wall Street Journal increasing public awareness of GM’s proactive efforts to offer alternative fuels such as hydrogen.
Senior Manager, Corporate Brand 2001-2005
• Responsible for overall strategy designed to increase brand awareness, product image and corporate reputation. Managed $17 million budget.
• Managed agency staff from: Fleishman-Hillard, Manning Selvage & Lee, Edelman, Hill & Knowlton, Ogilvy and Golin/Harris.
• Collaborated with international media, industry analysts and thought leaders on corporate brand initiatives such as product placement, event participation, strategic alliances, corporate sponsorships, and marketing initiatives.
• Supported GM policy and products by working with political leaders (U.S. Presidents, mayors, governors, and members of Congress) celebrities and other opinion leaders.
• Managed publicity for marketing staff’s affinity partnerships and co-promotional events with Disney, Make-A-Wish Foundation, NASCAR, U.S. Olympic Committee and personalities such as Tiger Woods, Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr.
• Directed international auto shows, GM Heritage Museum grand opening, UAW / GM exhibit at Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles, Saturn Sky debut at Concours d’Elegance.
Media Relations Manager, Manufacturing, Labor Relations, HR 1998-2001
• Directed communications strategy for corporate staffs. Lead with city/state government on tax abatements, zoning, regulatory issues and Flint Buick City plant closing.
• Advised and counseled GM officers on policy and product decisions, such as same-*** benefit announcement, plant closings and Chevrolet Silverado introduction.
• Directed personal communications for GM officers; conducted press conferences, negotiated media interviews, wrote speeches, prepared backgrounders and coordinated appearances.
• Managed national media, including the donation of 400 vehicles to the NYFD Sept. 13, 2001.
Communications Director, GM Japan 1997-1998
• Directed public policy, dealer relations, events and product launches.
• Spearheaded the global introduction of right-hand-drive Cadillac Seville/Chevrolet Corvette at Tokyo Motor Show.
• Developed GM’s first global template for auto show coordination.
Communications Manager, Chevrolet Division 1993-1997
• Developed communications plan and managed all aspects of publicity.
• Launched 30 new products, including C5 Corvette receiving upwards of 40 magazine covers.
• Managed communications of purpose-built vehicles showcased at high-profile events.
Staff Assistant, Internal Communications 1989-1993
Communications Coordinator, Flint Truck and Bus Plant 1986-1989
THE MICHIGAN NEWS NETWORK, Lansing, MI 1985-1986
State Capital Reporter / Afternoon Anchor
WVIC AM / FM, Lansing 1984-1986
Director of News Operations
MBA, Operations, University of Michigan 1991
BA, Journalism, Michigan State University