Apt. 1209 10811 47ave
T6H 5J2 (780) 966-4666
Objective To obtain freelance positions.
Experience Mar. 1998-Mar.2004 St. Albert Public Library St. Albert , AB
Library Assistant I
• Shelve library materials such as books, DVDs, audio and videocassettes, pamphlets, magazines and reference materials.
• Perform cleanup duty at the end of the day.
• Set up and clean up book sales.
• Check in library materials.
• Answer general patron questions.
Apr.2000-Aug.2000 Shaw Flooring Services Ltd. St. Albert, AB
• Answered the phone and handled general filing duties and office upkeep.
Mar. 2004-Present Edmonton Public Library Edmonton, AB
Library Assistant I: Riverbend Branch
• Shelve library materials such as books, DVDs, audio and videocassettes, magazines and reference materials.
• An extensive familiarity with the dewey decimal system as well as the library collection is required for this position.
• Answer general patron questions.
• Manage transit items coming to Riverbend from other branches. This includes processing items on hold for patrons, identifying items to send to other library branches, and checking in items for regular shelving. It also includes pulling materials from the shelves to send to other branches for holds and clearing unclaimed holds from the shelves.
• Assist in the operation of the Children’s Summer Reading Program.
• Perform ‘shelf reading’ regularly. This task involves an item-by-item examination of materials on the library shelves to make certain that they are in their proper order.
• Select and remove items for withdrawal from the collection. I have recently co-coordinated a large project of this nature for the library.
• Manage the selection of titles to be processed into our collection from customer donations. I also handle the shipping of materials to the Stanley Milner library for our book sales.
• Handle the location and processing of missing library items.
• Attended PAGES library conference on Nov. 14/08. There I learned about cutting edge local media, e-publishing, the internet as an essential library tool, online gaming as an heuristic service opportunity. I also learned about the sociological process of matching readers with new books and other media based on their past preferences and demographic.
Jan.2005-2009 Lesley Scorgie’s Rich By Thirty Magazine
• Rich By Thirty magazine is a publication dedicated to promoting financial literacy among North American youth.
• As one of the founding members of the Rich By Thirty team, I wrote and researched articles for the magazine. In addition to my regular editorial, I have written various articles dealing with money saving tips as well as articles to raise awareness of the issues of poverty and homelessness.
• Ms. Scorgie and I attended conferences on wealth-building and investing – one of which featured Jack Canfield of the ‘Chicken Soup for the Soul’ book series.
• In July and August ’05, two of my articles won “Article of the Day” on www.HoweStreet.com. Another article was featured on the site in June’07.
Jan. 2005-2008 The Edmonton ****** Assault Center Edmonton, AB
Crisis Line Worker
• As a member of the volunteer team, I helped staff the 24hour crisis line available to the public.
• Before beginning work, I completed a fifty hour crisis intervention training program. This program consisted of information regarding the victims of ****** assault, ****** harassment, child ****** abuse and how to deal with victims and survivors when they are in crisis.
• I received training on the nature of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as well as ******* intervention training.
• In January and June 2007, I assisted in the teaching/ training of new crisis line volunteers.
• My writing was also repeatedly published in the SACE newsletter.
Apr.2006-Dec 2008 Tico Publishing California, USA
• As a reviewer, my job was to read unpublished submissions sent to Tico and write a review of the content and technique.
• I offered editorial suggestions to the author and stated my opinion as to whether the work warranted publication.
Apr.2010 Atlantic Publishing Company
• As a reviewer, my job was to read published texts and offer my reviews of them to a number of online purchasing sites.
Jan 2011-Present Independent Bookselling and Procuring Edmonton, AB
• Through word of mouth and online ads, I have created a lucrative business based on the gathering and procuring of books – especially rare ones.
• I deal with online booksellers and small bookstores to negotiate purchases for my customers.
• Essentially, using my extensive research skills and experience, I do the ‘leg work’ that my customers do not have the time nor desire to do themselves.
Education 1996-1999 Bellerose Composite High School St. Albert, AB
• Graduated with an International Baccalaureate Partial Diploma in French, History and English.
• I received a 98% on my English 30 final examination essay. I also graduated with an International Baccalaureate University credit for introductory English courses.
• I posses a working knowledge of French
• I received the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship for all three of my high school years.
• I am in the process of learning Mandarin Chinese and expect to have a working knowledge presently.
1999-2003 University of Alberta Edmonton, AB
• Graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree. My degree consists of a major in sociology (including criminology and profiling) and a minor in classics.
Interests Reading and freelance writing – primarily fiction, and financial literacy.
References As requested.
Additional information I have excellent keyboarding skills and my typing speed is 58 wpm. I am familiar with the internet and its applications such as email use, and online research. I am very familiar with the applications of Microsoft Office and have worked with statistical programs as part of my University degree. I also possess the skill of speed-reading.