Karen has had more than 20 years’ experience in proposal work. Her duties have included many aspects of proposals including writing, editing, desktop publishing including graphics, and maintaining the “locked down” files—overseeing final production of the proposals. Her willingness to do “whatever it takes” has resulted in letters of appreciation from many of her clients. As a consultant for various clients some of Karen’s duties have been:
• Resumes – Edit resumes and format them consistently per RFP requirements
• Editing – “Final” edit of proposals to ensure they are grammatically correct
• Desktop Publishing – Make sure that response is formatted correctly per the RFP requirements and company guidelines
• Graphics – Help with graphics and capable of working existing graphics into text to make the proposal easier to read. This includes making all charts throughout the proposal consistent in style and color.
• Attend your kick-off meeting and offer some suggestions for making the entire process flow more smoothly; also attend red team meetings near the end to help finalize the proposal.
In addition to her proposal work, Karen has edited several books in which she has been mentioned and thanked for her help as well as authoring several books of her own, including technical manuals, novels and children’s books (see her personal website that she built for a complete list of her works—www.writingsbykaren.yolasite.com). Some of her freelance editing includes:
• Edited/typeset book entitled "When Baby Boom Women Retire" by Nancy Dailey, PhD
• Indexed book entitled "Shifting the Blame" by Saundra Westervelt, PhD
• Edited doctoral thesis for Paul Lopez, PhD candidate, Boise, ID State University
• Six-month assignment at EIS, Hemdon, VA to edit/update proposal boilerplate and incorporate graphics; organize, create advertisements/agendas, etc. for focus groups
• Contract with INNOLOG, Inc., McLean, VA to research and write 3-5 page summaries of all past contracts; wrote portions of INNOLOG's website; edited company brochures; wrote press releases
• Designed website for ISFS as well as a personal website
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
Consultant – Warrenton, VA
Provide support to clients in all phases of proposals and other documentation. Projects have also included some web design and editing of websites.
Proposal Specialist/Editor - Communications Technologies, Inc., - Chantilly, VA
Responsible for all phases of proposals from attending kick-off meetings to final production. Reported directly to the Proposal Manager and worked closely with capture teams and writers. Designed proposal covers and other graphics for proposals. Sent to Hampton, VA to oversee and help with the ROTC rebid for which she received letters of commendation from the Army personnel she worked with there.
Technical Editor/Production Coordinator, Dewberry & Davis, Fairfax, VA
At Dewberry, Karen prepared and edited training courses for FEMA in relation to providing help and funds to victims of disasters. This included preparing PowerPoint presentations for the training courses. She edited manuals, proposals and other forms of communication as required. She created charts and graphs for proposals and reports using Visio.
Proposal Specialist/Human Resources - A-COM, Chantilly, VA
At A-COM, Karen was both the proposal specialist and Human resources specialist. Her duties included:
• Wrote/placed employment ads; categorized, called and screened potential new employees
• Prepared indoctrination paperwork for new employees, including designing, creating and making employee badges; also completed all exit papers
• Handled insurance matters (health, workmen's comp, COBRA, death benefits, long-term disability, vehicle accidents, etc.); liaison with insurance companies to resolve employee problems
• Editor of company newsletter; created "benefits" newsletter
• Prepared draft of company Policy and Procedure Manual
• Interpreted RFPs and insured that all requirements and deadlines were met
• Wrote/typed/edited various sections of proposal response; helped with obtaining bonding for project
• Assisted with marketing, advertising, graphics; wrote script for telephone messaging
Research Assistant to Director, ISFS, Middleburg, VA and Washington, DC
• As Production Manager, handled research and project administration for the Encyclopedia of Financial Gerontology; Coordinated with contributors to compile book; edited/formatted submittals for publication
• Edited and typed (in Word Perfect) doctoral thesis, including charts/graphs
• Bookkeeping with Quicken, administrative and office management responsibilities
Office Manager/Corporate Secretary, RSI, Arlington, VA
• Responsible for all correspondence, proposals (writing/editing/typing), travel/meeting arrangements, purchasing, time sheet records, payroll records, accounting files, DoD security records, government billing
• Attended Board of Directors meetings and kept minutes
• Recruited, tested, hired and supervised secretarial/clerical staff
Established, operated and managed a retail art and framing gallery including setting up the retail store, hiring personnel, selecting and ordering art pieces and operating supplies, dealing with artists and customers, maintaining the books, inventory records, sales and disbursements.
In recent years, Karen has been doing freelance consulting for companies in a wide range of duties, mostly editing. She has also published the following books which can be seen on www.amazon.com.
1. The Frozen Leaf
2. Lower Bravia is Burning
3. Poems, Songs and Other Miscellany
4. The Tunnel
5. Back There: A Female Assassin Proves You Can’t Go Home Again
6. The Greening of Trish (Now being used as required reading in a university course)
7. It’s a Matter of Faith—Or Is It?
8. I’m Not Like You (short story)
9. Dancing With the Stars
10. I Saw a White Horse Today
11. Home is Where My Heart is