University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
Ph.D. Molecular Biology & Genetics.
University of Colorado at Denver.
B.S. Biology, minor in Anthropology.
Received with distinction, Summa Cum Laude honors.
TECHNICAL & SCIENTIFIC WRITING EXPERTISE
• 8 years experience writing technical documentation and overseeing technical writing projects and staff.
• Written over 5000 pages of technical documentation for software users and developers: Axiom User & Developer Manuals, Axiom Programming Guide, Via Vision Developer Manual, Via Duct User Manual, Via Express User Manual, OrthoVista Mosaicking Software User Manual, HyperCard Construction Kit User Manual.
• Publication: Gata6 is an important regulator of murine pancreas development. Kimberly Decker, Devorah Goldman, Catherine L. Lee and Lori Sussel. Developmental Biology. 2006. 298(2). pp. 415-29.
• Ph.D. Thesis: Gata6 regulates pancreatic branching morphogenesis and endocrine differentiation.
• Grant writing: Independently wrote and submitted 9 grant applications in 2010-2011. Awarded Thorkildsen Research Fellowship award.
• Reviewer of journal articles prior to publication for Nucleic Acids Research.
• Wrote and developed K-12 science curriculum, including study materials for students.
• Office productivity: Expert user of Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Access). OpenOffice.
• Graphic design & video: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Captivate and Elements. Sony Vegas.
• Document & project management: Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Project.
• Marketing tools: Constant Contact, SalesForce, ACT.
• Operating systems: UNIX, Linux, Mac, PC, VMWare.
• Programming tools: Perl, Basic, markup language.
• Statistical software: Excel, R statistical language.
Owner/Vice President. Blue Prairie Inc. 1995 – present.
• Responsible for technical writing, marketing and accounting activities.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow. University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Center. 2009 – 2011.
• Designed and implemented comprehensive research plan to answer experimental questions regarding the genetic basis of cancer and the effectiveness of pharmacological therapies.
• Responsible for writing of grants and journal articles as well as mentoring of junior students.
Science Teacher. Chaparral High School. 2007 – 2009.
• Taught Biology, Applied Biology
• Wrote and developed comprehensive biology curriculum focused on student mastery of educational standards defined by school district.
• Biology Professional Learning Community leader.
Technical Writing/Marketing Consultant. Stellacore Corporation. Denver, Colorado. 1999 – 2000.
• Developed sales and marketing program, including design and rollout of new corporate image.
• Helped small company develop a sales and marketing program for a highly-technical product line.
• Managed sales activities, including accounts such as NASA.
• Wrote product documentation for software designed for the manipulation and production of composite satellite imagery.
Product Marketing Director. Ardent Software, Inc. (acquired by Informix/IBM). 1996 – 1999.
• Complete product marketing responsibility for web-based development tools and database interface products: complete product life cycle from development to delivery.
• Wrote and developed marketing collateral and online sales tools.
• Position required ability to work and communicate with many types of personal, domestically and internationally: programmers, salespeople, customers, technical support staff, and upper management.
• Liaison between customers and software developers for new product planning and dissemination of new product releases.
• Organized annual developer and user conference (500+ registrants), and conducted training classes for software products.
International Product Marketing Director. System Builder Corporation. 1994 – 1996.
• Directed all creative and product marketing activities for web-based database-interface and development products.
• Coordinated all product marketing on an international basis. Responsible for corporate communications and copywriting of marketing collateral.
• Orchestrated redesign and launch of new corporate image.
• Organized annual developer and user conference (200+ registrants), and conducted training classes for software products.
• Managed staff of 6 employees. Responsible for departmental budgeting and sales forecasting.
Vice President, Sales and Marketing. Via Systems, Inc. 1990 – 1994.
• Supervisory role for sales and marketing department of 10 employees and technical writing staff.
• Responsible for departmental budgeting and sales forecasting, corporate strategic and tactical planning, design, copywriting and production of all corporate and product marketing (advertising, collateral, etc.).
• Managed technical writing projects, including new documentation and revisions of existing manuals. Primary copy editor.
Vice President, Sales and Marketing. Via Systems, Inc. 1989 – 1990.
• Wrote and published over 2500 pages of developer and end-user documentation for software product line.
• Position required working with developers to learn and master usage of new software tools not yet brought to market.
• Taught extensive hands-on training courses for a variety of end-user and developer tools.